Chapter 36

At first John and Paul were a little on edge towards each other, but after the first twenty minutes they were laughing and joking like they had been before all of this unnecessary fighting. I decided to stay away from the two of them for a little while, just to make sure no more ruckuses occurred. I sat by Stuart. I hadn't actually talked to him much since I'd been here. At all, really.

I leaned against the wall as he stood next to me, playing his bass moderately okay, cigarette dangling between his lips. He looked down at me and smirked, enjoying me watching him play. I did enjoy watching him play, even if he wasn't the best guitar player in the world. He was definitely the most handsome in the group, very easy on the eyes, and though he was a lot like John with his mannerisms, he had his own way about him, which I much appreciated.

"I think you're getting better, Stu," I told him in between songs.

He grinned, slightly embarrassed that he couldn't play better. "Ya think so?" he asked, lighting up another cigarette.

I nodded. "Of course. You're not making nearly as many mistakes and you're more in time with the others."

He shrugged, taking a drag. "That's the plan."

I grinned too. He wasn't being nearly as obvious with his thoughts as he had been when I first met him. "What are your plans for the holidays?" I asked, changing the subject. Christmas was right around the corner. Lots of people already had decorations visible through their windows and the prices for potential gifts have gone up in the stores.

"I'm gonna go to me mum's and spend Christmas with 'er and me brothers and sisters. John's gonna go to his Aunt Mimi's, so no one's gonna be in the flat for awhile. What are you gonna be up to?"

"Same as you," I said, shrugging. "Dinner with my mom and dad, but I don't have any siblings."

He scoffed, puffing on his cigarette some more. "Lucky," he said, breathing out a lungful of smoke. "You should come visit the flat sometime. I know John's been wantin' ya over. I wouldn't mind havin' ya over either." He smirked, his true feelings starting to poke through.

I smiled, pretending to be oblivious. "I wouldn't mind that. Looking at art, playing some guitar, hanging out. Sounds like fun."

He grinned, not expecting me to actually want to. "Gear. Come by whenever ya want. Do ya know where it is?"

I shook my head. I hadn't seen John's new apartment yet. We were still fighting when he first told me about it. "No," I answered. "I'm sure John will show me where it is eventually."

Stuart was little quiet after that. "Do you like him?" he asked.

I shrugged. "Yeah," I said casually. "Not as much as Paul and George, but yeah."

"Not as much as Paul and George?" he asked, clarifying. I nodded. "That's a little strange."

I giggled. "Yeah, so I've heard."

"Whatcha gigglin' about over here?" John came over, guitar still strapped around him, and propped his foot up against a crate.

"Nothing," I said, smiling smugly.

He grinned, being in a terrific mood for whatever reason. "Nothin'? Somehow I don't think it was nothin'." His eyes shifted to Stu. "Gettin' friendly with Sutcliffe here?"

I smirked at Stuart, who wasn't so happy about John's intrusion. "Something like that, yeah."

"Yeah?" He turned his attention to Stuart. "You gettin' friendly with my girl, Stu?" he asked.

Stu smiled an awkward smile and said "Yeah."

John noticed, but literally did not care. "What song do ya want to hear play next, Colleen?"

I thought for a minute. I could listen to them play all day. Well, with the exception of Stu, of course. "Peggy Sue," I answered. "That has to be one of my favorites."

John grinned and yelled out to everyone else "Alright, lads! Peggy Sue!"