Part 25

I was home by ten but not in bed. I was still wired from the game and ended up taking a swim in the pool to wind down. The stars were out in full array and I'd spent the last thirty minutes leisurely swimming laps.

Finally feeling relaxed, I climbed out of the pool and reached for a towel, when my dad came out the back door. 

He started to say something then cleared his throat when the words got stuck. "Sorry, I'm a little hoarse from yelling."

"Is that what you call it?" I bumped him with my shoulder before sitting on the edge of one of the lounge chairs. He took the one opposite me, settling into his lecture pose, elbows on his knees, his fingertips pressed together.

"I might have gotten a little excited."

"Oh, yeah Mr. Calm, Cool, and Otherwise Unshakable." 

His eyebrows rose in speculation.

"That's the guy's nickname for you."

He snorted. "One of many I'm sure. There are few things I lose my cool over, and you're one of them. I won't ever apologize for that. You're my daughter. It's my job to crack heads and bust balls on your behalf if necessary."

And that was the closest thing to an apology I was likely to get from my dad for forbidding me to see Jamie.

"That was a hell of a game," he said. "I'm proud of you. Even if you hadn't won, I'd still be proud."

"Yeah, but we did." My smile was unstoppable. 

"Yeah, you sure did." He reached over and put his arm around my neck. Gently pulling me close, he kissed the top of my head. "In case I haven't said it in a while, I love you."

"Dad, I love you too. And I'm sorry—"

"Hey, it's okay," he said, cutting me off.

"Thanks for letting Jamie come to the game." 

"Well, he asked, and I needed to talk to him anyway." He sighed, shoulders slumping. "He's kept his distance like I asked, but I can see that it's making you miserable."

My heart nearly stopped and my breath hitched as hope swelled at his words. 

"I know what it's like to have feelings for the wrong person. I loved a girl once. She didn't love me back, but if she had I probably would have defied anyone to be with her. Doesn't make it right though. Wanting something, someone, doesn't make what you and Jamie decided to do right. Going behind my back. Lying to me."

"I know, and I really am sorry," I said, my voice so small it was almost lost on the breeze. "I miss him though."

"I know you do. And honestly, I miss him too. That's why if you two are dead set on seeing each other, I'll allow it."

"You will?"

"I expect you to keep curfew. He's not allowed in your room. He's not allowed in the house if I'm not here, and that goes for his house too. Shit." He laughed to himself. "I'm not crazy about the idea of you having a boyfriend."

I grinned. It was the first time I could ever remember him cursing in front of me. I patted him on the back. 
"It'll be all right."

"Don't stay up too late. You've got another big day tomorrow."

"I won't," I said as he made his way back into the house.

"Hey, Dad." He paused and looked at me over his shoulder. "Thanks. And who wouldn't love you back?"

"Lots of people, trust me."

I wasn't ready to go back inside so I lay on the lounge chair, gazing at the stars. I wrapped my towel tight around my shoulders. I might not be able to sleep at all now. Noah had said Jamie rarely slept in his room and that he spent most nights on the beach. I wondered if he were out there now, gazing at the stars too. 

A shadowed face loomed over my head, and my heart suddenly took up an erratic beat, not in fear. I'd been expecting him, waiting, somehow knowing he'd come.

"You're here," I said, looking up into Jamie's face, his green eyes sparkling like the stars above his head. 

"You're supposed to be in bed."

"Couldn't sleep."

"Me either," he leaned over me further, drops of water falling on my towel and cheeks. 

"I was laying here looking at the stars wondering if you were too," I confessed, soaking in his presence, his smell, the sheer size of him. 

"I was. But I'd rather look at them with you, and I wanted to ask you a question."

"What?" I asked, my voice a little breathless.

"Erin Shaw, will you be my girlfriend?"

"Hmmm." I pretended to ponder his proposal, gazing up at the stars that seemed all the brighter with Jamie here. My world was just better with him in it. He must have gotten tired of waiting. His head descended, his mouth taking mine thoroughly and completely and then I couldn't speak at all. He lifted his lips and I chased them with mine, never wanting this kiss to end. 

"I'll take that as a yes."