Part 32

"Where are we going?" I asked, tossing my napkin in the trash.

I'd just finished off a double scoop of strawberry ice cream with sprinkles on a jumbo waffle cone. The ice cream had hit the spot, and I was feeling pleasantly full and slightly drowsy. A nap sounded good right about now.

We'd had a doctor's appointment after school today, and afterward Jamie had driven us straight to one of the village squares across from the beach, home to quaint shops and boutiques and a few restaurants, including my favorite ice cream parlor.

Over the past three days since we'd told our parents about the baby, Jamie had been eager to fulfill my every whim, especially when it came to food.

"There's someone I need you to meet," he said, steering me toward a corner shop called Deep. "I should warn you though..."

"Warn me about what?" I asked, suddenly nervous.

"It's nothing. Maggie just never meets a stranger, that's all." He smiled and opened the door, which was equipped with a door chime. The lyrical tune greeted us, along with the light scent of vanilla wafting on the air.

I wasn't unfamiliar with the shop. I'd been here a few times with my mom. Deep was a favorite among the locals and tourists alike and the owner, Maggie, was well known for her collection of organic lotions and body creams. She was also a jewelry designer. Noah often talked about her as though she were family. My mom referred to her as our very own Stevie Nicks. Based upon her picture displayed in the front window, I saw the resemblance.

Maggie was perched on a stool behind a glass display case exhibiting her wares—necklaces and bracelets, similar to the ones Jamie and Noah wore, many of them far more elaborate. While she smiled in welcome when she saw me, she positively beamed when Jamie walked in behind me.

"Hey Maggie," he said, casting his gaze down to the empty doggie bed by the door. "Where's Felix?"

"It's his spa day," she said, coming around the counter, her layers of jewelry making her sound like a wind chime when she moved. "He'll be sorry he missed you."

She moved in to hug Jamie's neck, her skirts flowing around her legs all light and airy. Her eyes sparkled like stars and she definitely had that gypsy vibe going for her. She grabbed Jamie's face and kissed him full on the mouth, then turned, narrowing her eyes on me.

"Maggie," he said, his cheeks pinking as he cleared his throat. "This is Erin."

"Hello, Erin." She floated toward me and enveloped me in an all-encompassing hug, the bell sleeves of her blouse like butterfly wings.

"Hi, Maggie. It's nice to meet you," I said.

"I don't know what mom told you..." Jamie began, but his voice died when Maggie inhaled sharply. She lifted a strand of hair off of my shoulder and brought it to her nose to smell it. Then she dropped her hand, pressing her ringed fingers flat on my stomach.

Jamie sighed.

"Lara told me you had a girlfriend, Jamie Neil Jacobs. She didn't tell me you'd knocked her up. What were you thinking?" She tossed her hand in a flippant wave. "Never mind. Don't answer that. Guess it's not hard to figure out."

"Maggie..." Jamie groaned, but it was like he'd disappeared. All her attention was on me.

"How old are you?" she asked, her tone gentle.

"Sixteen," I said, feeling as if I could tell this woman anything, even though she was a virtual stranger. The thing was, she didn't feel like one.

"For Erzulie's love, Jamie. Couldn't you keep it in your pants. No wonder Lara didn't tell me."

"Would you stop," he said, his jaw clenching as he shifted from one bare foot to the other.