Part 40

I was sitting in Geometry taking a test when it happened—a tickle of movement, a slight flutter. My pencil stilled and I held my breath, waiting to feel the butterfly wings flittering in my stomach again. A few seconds later, the flutter repeated itself and I sat in a state of wonderment.

I tried to continue with my test, but I was too distracted, fighting the urge to leap from my desk and find Jamie and tell him I'd felt our baby move.

I cut my eyes at Ally. She was sitting in the row of desks next to mine and two seats back. I stared hard at her. Look up Ally. And as best friends sometimes did, she looked up, a question in her eyes.

What, she mouthed in response to my stupid grin.

I pointed at my stomach and mouthed back, She moved.

What? Her brow pleated. Eww.

"Erin, will you come to my desk, please?" Mr. Langston asked. I stifled a laugh. Busted.

Crap. I didn't want to get up. I was afraid if I moved I'd disturb her and I'd never feel her again. I rose from my seat and made my way to the front of the room though it felt more like I was floating I was so elated.

"Is there a problem?" Mr. Langston asked when I approached his desk.

"No, sir," I said, wearing what I was sure was a raptured expression.

"You are aware we're in the middle of a test and talking is prohibited."

"Yes, sir. We weren't cheating or anything. It's just—"

He raised his eyebrows skeptically, poking himself in the cheek with the pen he'd been using to grade papers.

"I felt... the baby move and I wanted to tell someone," I said softly.

"Congratulations." He took off his glasses. "But try not to disturb the other students."

"Yes, sir," I mumbled and turned to my desk.

"And Erin." His voice was a whisper as though he were sharing a secret. "I have kids of my own. I do understand."

"Thanks, Mr. Langston."

Back in my seat, I took another stab at my test, but my interest in quadrilaterals had been squashed. Who cared? C—the answer was C. The next one was probably C too. Oh God, there it was again, and it was as freaky as I'd thought it would be but in an amazingly good way. There was a tiny human growing inside of me and I could feel her.

The intercom mounted in the corner of the room beeped, but I was so wrapped up in the miracle taking place inside my body, I ignored the announcement at first. The sound of my name penetrated my thoughts and I looked up from my desk, momentarily confused.

"Mrs. Shaw. You're needed in the office."

"Sir?"

"You'll be checking out," he said.

"What about the test?" I asked, wondering if I had a dentist appointment or something I'd forgotten about. "I'm not finished."

"You can make it up tomorrow."

My eyes drifted to Ally and I shrugged. I closed my book and gathered my paper. Once I'd slung my book bag over my shoulder, I handed Mr. Langston my test and exited the room, making my way down the hall toward the front office.

My steps slowed when I saw my dad standing at the end of the hallway by the entrance to the school. My first impulse was to run and tell him I'd felt the baby move but then he turned his face toward me and my heart jumped into my throat. Cold dread settled in my bones. What was he doing here? My mind immediately went to my mom.