Part 27

I didn't see Jamie the next day. I was almost afraid I'd scared him away with my request.

The seven-hour school day dragged on and on, seemingly lasting for days. Now that volleyball was over, I didn't have practice to look forward to. The highlight of my day was when my mom texted, asking if I wanted to go to dinner. My dad was working late. He wouldn't tell me what he was doing, but Jamie was busy too, so I assumed it had something to do with training.

"Your father tells me you have a boyfriend," she said, reaching for her glass of wine.

"Yes. You met him at my game last weekend."

"I remember. He was obviously enamored with you," she said. "Your dad also said Jamie's a few years older and already out of high school. One of his boys, actually."

"Gee, Mom. I didn't know you and Dad talked so much," I said rather snidely. I sensed the "make wise choices" lecture coming on and really wasn't in the mood. I'd heard it a billion times before.

"We're your parents. We keep each other informed. It's what parents do when they're raising a daughter."

"I'm sorry," I said, feeling instantly guilty. I'd wanted to tell her about Jamie, but for some reason, I hadn't. Something told me she wouldn't wholly approve, and I didn't want anyone else telling me Jamie and I were a bad idea.

"So are you going to tell me he's too old for me." I picked at the bread on my plate.

"No. But I will say, while having a boyfriend at your age is exciting, it's also a responsibility. And it's obvious you're crazy about him."

"Yeah. He's pretty great." It was hard not to smile when talking about him. "He's also..."

Would my dad have mentioned that too? That Jamie was different?

"I know the Jacobs, Erin. I understand Jamie's exotic appeal. He's very handsome." Her lips curled ruefully. "But I would say this about anyone, be careful and you know..."

"Make wise choices," we said in unison.

We laughed and conversation drifted away from the topic of me and Jamie and we ended up having a pleasant time together. Sometimes I didn't get it. My mom was great. My dad was great. And when I hugged my mom goodbye in front of the restaurant, I wished for the millionth time they could have been great together.

After I got home, I worked on a paper on a topic I had absolutely no interest in that was due at the end of the week. I didn't get far and ended up giving up and going to bed, even though I wasn't tired.

I clicked off the light and lay on top of my bedspread, staring at the ceiling, thinking about the nights Jamie and I spent gazing at the stars.

As my eyes adjusted to the dark, my brow furrowed. My ceiling appeared to be coming to life. I blinked, unsure what I was seeing. My mouth fell open on an inhale. Stars. I was seeing stars. Upwards of a hundred of them twinkled across my ceiling. They appeared to have been stenciled with some kind of glow in the dark paint, in all different sizes.

I grabbed my phone from the bedside table.

Me: did you do this

Jamie: yes

And just like that, Jamie had turned a good day into the most perfect day ever.

Me: how

Jamie: magic

I laughed, feeling light-hearted and giddy. I could almost believe it was magic. Jamie was magic. My life felt magical with him in it.

Jamie: explain your room

Me: ?

Jamie: i took you for more of a skull-and-crossbones kind of girl.

I smiled. My room was the definition of pink—pink walls and pink bedspread with pink lace.

I fell back on the bed with a stupid grin on my face and stared at the stars.

Jamie: are you watching

Me: yes

Jamie: me too

I didn't fall asleep for a long time.