Seven

It was 2 am when Aiden finally decided that he needed a break. I remained silent as he steered the jeep into the parking lot of Motel 6, and watched him while he gathered our bags and ushered me to the front desk.

A woman with stringy blond hair and blue eye liner perked up immediately when she noticed Aiden; attempting to fluff her limp strands and quickly adjusting her bra.  

I rolled my eyes.  

"What can I do for you?" She purred, her grey gaze racking up and down his physique. 

Aiden dazzled her with a cubic zirconium smile and placed a 100 on the surface between them.  

"I wanted a room." He answered while she took the money.  

"Would a queen sized bed be fine?"  

"Of course"  

"Wait!" I interjected, and the woman-- Lisa, her name tag read-- seemed to notice me for the first time. I ignored the blatant look of resentment that crossed her features when she glanced between Aiden and I.  

"Don't you have another room?"  

She checked the computer, "No."  

"Do you at least have a room with separate twin beds?"  

She scrolled through the computer again, "No." She snapped, looking as disappointed as I did.

She shoved the keys at Aiden, as if he offended her in some way, and shooed us away to our room on the 3rd floor. 

I reluctantly followed him to room 52, and watched as he unlocked the door and went inside.

In a word; the room looked sad.

The wall paper was faded and peeling, the carpet was a stained, grey/green color, the white furniture looked worn, and the bathroom contained a rust streaked sink and cracked shower bath with a broken curtain.  

So not worth 60 bucks.  

The bed frightened me not only because I'd have to share, but also because it looked like it was a home to bed bugs, and various other icky things.

"Don't get too comfortable. We won't be here for long." Aiden said from the window, peering through the blinds. I huffed and sat on the edge of the bed, trying to ignore his presence. There was no way I was going to stay here with him. Once I get my chance, I was leaving.

"I'm going to scope the lot for another car. We can't be seen in the same vehicle for too long."  

"Tell me why you're doing this." I demanded, stopping him from leaving. He had a lot of explaining to do, and I wanted answers now. Aiden looked tired out of no where and plopped down beside me.  

I furtively scooted away.  

"I work with the special services of the government. My mission was to infiltrate the terrorist camp, discover their plans and find out who the main leader is."  

"But isn't that Price?" 

Aiden shook his head, "No. Price is one of many who's head of their own little district, but they all work under one person--I was supposed to find out who." He sighed, "I was 3 months in until somebody got involved." He shot a pointed look at me, and I bristled.  

"It wasn't my fault you guys decided to bomb Walmart! Of all places!"  

"Hey, I don't call the shots. I was supposed to cooperate and find out who this Leader was." He retorted, shutting the blinds with a snick. "Anyways, I have a safe haven in Illinois. I'll contact my supervisor Montey, and we'll go from there."  

"Why the hell is your base in Illinois?! Why isn't it closer?!"  

"We aren't stationed everywhere! We can't be! There's a system we go by!"  

"It's a stupid system." I grumbled under my breath. It didn't matter what his 'system' was, because I wasn't going to be around long enough to figure it out.  

It was 4 a.m when I finally fell asleep. I was firmly tucked under the covers while he slept on top. Sharing wasn't so bad as long as he wasn't touching me. I woke up at 7 a.m, that Tuesday to see if I could make a break for it.

Slowly easing out of the covers, I slipped on my flats and took a moment to debate about whether or not I should take a gun with me.

I might need the protection...

I grabbed the sleek surface of what I assumed was a pistol and a wad of cash. I was going to leave now. I didn't care if he claimed to be a cop or whatever--I was going home, and as long as he was sleeping, he couldn't stop me.

I slipped out of the room and closed the door behind me as quietly as I could. Once I was sure that he hadn't been disturbed, I tucked the gun into my tights--it sort of looked like I had a penis--stuffed the money in my ridiculous push-up bra, and ran like hell.

I was going home.