Twenty Two

Shahana's P.O.V

I wasn't alone long before the clatter of a door being unclocked crowded the room. I stumbled to stand and broadcast my pride to whomever it was behind that door.

I'm not afraid. I'm not afraid. I'm not afraid.

I'm terrified.

The light on the other side blinded me but I could make out 2 silhouettes. I squinted then recognized Seth but not the other strange man.

"This is who I came down here to see? " He said and by now I could see them both clearly. This new face was old. He had thick white hair that was styled in a neat comb over. His suit was tailored to fit him perfectly and from the looks of it, it wasn't cheap. He had a nice polished cane even though he stood up-right and his eyes were so dark that they were black. The way he looked at me made me feel insignificant and worthless.    

"No sir. There were some complications in finding the agent. But she's been with him since he fled the camp, so she must know something to be of importance." Seth explained. They stared at me a little longer and I felt as though I needed to say something to defend myself.

"I'm just a normal girl that he decided to save. I'm not his partner or anything--He was supposed to take me home." They ignored me and I felt a little embarrassed.  

"Find out what you can." Mystery man ordered and turned away.

"Yes sir--it was an honor to meet you sir." Seth fumbled and smoothed the front of his shirt self consciously. It was just us now, and he stalked forward. "Tell me what you know."

"I just did!" I snapped, and that earned me a swift slap to the face that made me lose my balance. Before I could actually fall, Seth grasped my hair and dragged me around o face him.

"Don't you lie to me. I have ways of getting people to talk, and I'll make you scream if I have to." He threatened, twisting a wad of hair painfully in his fist. Tears blurred my vision and I felt hopelessness wash over me. Truth or lie, this man was going to kill  me.

___________________________________________________________________________

Aiden's P.O.V

As soon as the sun peeked above the horizon, I revved up the engine and crept down the left path, hoping that I'd get lucky there. 

I was starting to lose my nerve. Shahana has been gone for, at most, 2 days, and I feared that she could be suffering. What if I was too late? Would it be better to go to Illinois without her and double back with a task team?

I hated not having the right answers.

I was so distracted with worrying, that I wasn't noticing any clues.

Pulling over, I jumped out of my car and fisted my hands in my hair, letting a distressed sound erupt from my chest.

God damn it! Damn it!

The sound of a car pulling up snapped me out of my mental tantrum and I quickly composed myself, moving back to the ajar driver's side.

"Aiden."

My spine stiffened and my defenses went up.

"Rome?"

___________________________________________________________________________

Shahana's P.O.V

Smack!

"What do you know?!" Seth shouted in my face while I was slumped in the corner, trying to differentiate my blood from saliva. I desperately didn't want him to hit me again, but what could I say? I didn't know anything that would prevent me from getting punched.

"I don't know!" I sobbed, uselessly trying to defend myself with my hands.

Just hold on. Aiden will come. Just hold on to hope.

A swift kick to the ribs had me howling in agony.

"WHERE IS HE?!"

My mind was foggy with pain, and I couldn't even answer while he beat me. There was nothing but the horrible echoing of flesh beating flesh as I lay there.

I hate them. I hate them all.

I couldn't bear  it any longer. My body couldn't take it. The next blow I received to the head had me in a world of darkness.

Where are you Aiden?

___________________________________________________________________________

Aiden's P.O.V

We drew our guns at the same time.

"Where did you bastards take her?" I growled, my finger steady on the trigger.

"Easy man, I just want to talk. I've been looking for you." Rome answered, raising his gun in surrender. 

"Why?"

"Because I want to help. I don't like the game they're playing...It's fucked up." The grimace on Rome's face had my stomach twisting with all kinds of horrid thoughts. "I can't do anything, but I can help by leading you to them."

I lowered my own weapon, daring to believe that he was telling the truth.

"Take me to her."  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mwaha. It was short, but I don't care! >:D I need some votes, yo!