Chapter 4: The Inaugural Ball

The sun couldn't set fast enough as I counted down the minutes until seven o'clock. When the royal clock-tower chimed seven times, I could have fainted with relief when Ella finally declared herself ready.

As I followed Ella out of her suite, my hands demurely clasped at my waist as Rosanna had instructed, the sounds of female laughter floated through the halls. Everyone's doors were open now, exposing the glittering chaos that was the preparation for the first official ball. Ella had insisted she be ready as early as possible so she wouldn't be left waiting in the wings as a lineup of girls were announced. She was one of the few taking stately steps down the hall, her ladies in waiting following her like ducklings.

Ahead of us, Lady Mayfair had emerged, curtseying ever so briefly before pulling ahead of us on the way to the ballroom. Her three ladies, each of them in gowns almost as fine as Ella's, formed a protective gauntlet around her, their skirts fanning out to block our way around. When Emily opened her mouth to say something, Rosanna touched her arm and shook her head. Lady Mayfair, while in the wrong for not waiting her turn, was also much higher on the social ladder. Her gown was a deep burgundy silk damask as I'd seen before, set off to advantage by a small fortune of rubies and diamonds that glittered around her neck, fingers, and ears. Next to her, Ella looked like just another lady in waiting, which was probably exactly the effect Lady Mayfair had intended.

Her group turned the corner, her three ladies in more demure dresses of navy, olive, and aubergine behind her. Ella paused at the balcony, looking down into the entrance hall below. The chandeliers threw dancing rainbows along the entrance hall walls. illuminating the glittering guests below us. A steady flow of impeccably dressed men and women were arriving as servants wove their way between them passing out flutes of champagne while maids and butlers scurried away with shawls, clutches, and canes to stow in the resting rooms.

"I want you all on your best behaviour," Ella said over her shoulder, as she started down the hall to where Lady Mayfair had taken her place behind Lady Roxton. The two of them had clasped gloved hands with an excited titter as a footman opened the upper ballroom door, ushering Lady Roxton through. Through the door, we heard the brief blare of coronets before her name was called out.

"Introducing Lady Penelope Roxton!"

There was a smattering of polite applause from within the ballroom and I craned my neck to see just how full it was before Rosanna gave my skirt a tug to pull me back into line.

"Once Ella is announced, we make our way down the stairs," she leaned over and whispered to me, as Lady Mayfair's three gorgeous ladies in waiting kissed their debutante and left her to enter the ball, the announcer calling out her name in turn. The three of them made their way down the entrance hall steps with little fanfare, save for the interested stares of the last few arriving guests.

"And then we go into the ballroom?" I asked, trying not to bounce on the balls of my feet. Rosanna nodded solemnly, as if it was the equivalent of going to church.

"Good luck!" Emily whispered in front of us, giving Ella's arms a squeeze. She shot us a nervous smile over her shoulder as she rolled them back to push out her chest, tilting her chin up and sucking her waist in.

She glided through the open doors as I strained forward, my jaw popping open as I craned my neck to see the sea of people below. The staircase curved around the left wall, its plush red carpeting ending in stark contrast to the ballroom below. Huge columns lined the walls, holding up the vaulted ceiling lit by dozens of sparkling chandeliers. In a corner, the band was playing soft, melodious background music, barely audible over the chatter inside.

"Introducing Lady Eleanor Canterbury,"

The smattering of applause followed as most of the eyes in the room turned up towards Ella as she emerged on the balcony. I was particularly proud of how well we'd turned her out. Her golden hair was pulled into a shining pile on her head, ropes of rosy pearls running through her locks. I was happy we'd abandoned the pink dress in favour of the sapphire one, especially since both Lady Mayfair and Lady Roxton had both chosen red as their debut colour. The neckline of Ella's dress was lower than Rosanna had liked and Emily had pushed it just a little lower by adjusting her necklace such that the diamond sat nestled in the curve of her bosom, drawing the eye down. The dress itself was stunning and the softest watered silk I'd ever touched, but lacing her into it had taken nearly an hour. I wondered how she could breathe as she descended the stairs, the picture of grace.