Chapter 18.1: Libby the Distraction

There wasn't as much music wafting into the little library as on ball nights, so I pushed open one of the windows to listen for the crickets singing in the garden. I was running low on matches in Andrew's matchbook, so I reminded myself to beg some off Xavier the next time I saw him. With the candelabra on the reading table lit, I adopted my favourite pose and tucked my feet underneath me. I'd settled for another book that night, since the book of legends still sent my cheeks to heating when I thought about the last time I'd held it.

Andrew's invitation was still safely tucked into my clothes, but the list Xavier had given me from mother was buried at the bottom of my trunk. I'd assumed that if Emily went snooping, finding a list of recommended husbands would set her to laughing, but finding the prince's only invitation to the masquerade would send her straight to Ella to have me flayed alive.

Nonetheless, I was still acutely aware of the envelope wedged beneath my dress and I wondered how many other sensitive documents I'd have to hide. Perhaps I'd have to ask Audra to sew some secret pockets for me. But thinking about the seamstress had only turned my thoughts towards my budgetary constraints and mission to find a husband, neither of which I wanted to ruminate over that night.

With a huff and a shake of my head to clear it, I cracked open a book on the sights and relics of Egypt. I was thoroughly engrossed in reading of pharaohs and sarcophagi when the service door opened behind me. I twisted around in my chair, only for Andrew to rest a hand on my back in greeting, coming around the table to sit opposite me.

"Now you must really have lost your mind. You can't keep disappearing at the same time as I do!" I said, closing the book with a snap. Andrew grinned, leaning back wearily in the chair.

"Once again you underestimate me. I made quite sure all the debutantes who were paying attention watched me escort my unruly brother back into the old palace. For all they know I'm still scolding him, not sneaking through service corridors to the little library," Andrew said, leaning his head back on the chair to close his eyes.

"Thomas was permitted to join games night?" I asked, my eyebrows lifting. Andrew smiled, his eyes still closed.

"Not in the least, which was why I had to escort him away," he said. I furrowed my brow as I watched him.

"That seems a little brazen, even for Thomas," I said. At that Andrew opened his eyes, a little gleam in them as he looked at me. I held his gaze with raised eyebrows, waiting for him to explain.

"I may have asked him to help spare me if Ashley wouldn't let me alone," Andrew said, "He was keeping an eye out from one of the upper balconies,"

"Getting your brother in trouble to escape a beautiful girl! For shame your Highness!" I said. Andrew grinned at me.

"Not shameful in the least," he said, "Thomas owes me a number of favours for getting him out of trouble and I needed a few minutes of chatting with you to clear my head. It's no easy feat, facing that barrage of flirts,"

"Barrage of flirts? You make it sound like you're suffering," I laughed, focusing on the book in my hands instead of on the heat rising in my face.

You serve as a distraction from the choice he is facing, which is the only reason he's spending so much time with you.

I hated James' words as they jumped into the forefront of my mind again, sending my stomach twisting into the wrong kind of knots. I hadn't wanted to believe him, but now Andrew had just confirmed it for me. Try as I might to feel flattered that he'd claimed spending time with me would clear his head, I couldn't shake the notion that James was right and that Andrew was really just using me to put off picking one of the debutantes.