Chapter 25: Nighttime Invitations

I was jarred from a fitful sleep by the sound of carriage wheels and horses. Rolling over, I pulled the blanket over my head to muffle the sounds from the street, unwillingly realizing that now was when everyone in the area would be returning from the second night of the masquerade ball. Andrew would have realized that I was gone by now and I could only hope that my warning about Ashley, pitiful as it was, had been enough. The Season was drawing towards its close and the debutantes were sure to be circling him like carrion birds now.

The thought alone was enough to make me throw the covers off in frustration, only to yank them back to keep the cold off my skin.

A loud pounding echoed through the house. Puzzled, I glanced towards the front window. The pounding resumed, a steady bang-bang-bang followed by a pause. I climbed out of bed, snatching up my robe and sliding into my slippers as I crossed to the window. My brows furrowed as I processed that there was a carriage parked outside the house.

I snatched up the lamp I'd left burning beside the bedroom door and made my way out onto the landing. I could see a light bobbing down the opposite end of hallway, illuminating Xavier as he clumsily tried to tie his night robe with one hand.

"What's going on?" he asked through a yawn. I shook my head.

"There's a carriage out front," I said, looking down the stairs. He cocked an eyebrow, descending in front of me.

"Stay here," he commanded from halfway down the stairs. I paused on the second step, sitting down instead of following him. He set the lantern on a side table and unlatched the door, pulling the great heavy thing open.

"Where is she? She can't have left!"

I nearly knocked my lamp over when I recognized the voice.

"Your Highness, I-" Xavier started, but Andrew had already entered the house. I jumped to my feet in surprise as his eyes found the only other light in the entry hall, looking up to where I was standing.

If my heart had been whole enough to break, it would have at how handsome he looked. He was still in costume, this time in a brilliant red formal jacket and shining black boots. He had no mask, but for the first time since I'd met him, he was wearing a thin circlet crown atop his head.

"Libby?" he asked. My resolve crumbled and I flew down the stairs as fast as my slippered feet could take me, heedless of the fact I was in a simple nightgown and robe. I sailed past my brother and threw myself into Andrew's arms. He caught me, crushing me to him. I breathed in the smell of him, relishing his beating heart beneath my ear.

Xavier cleared his throat a few moments later and Andrew released me from his arms. He kept his eyes on me, their green depths flooded with relief.

"How may we be of service, your Highness?" Xavier asked, shooting a significant look towards my attire. I crossed my arms over my robe, narrowing my eyes at him. I couldn't be brought to care about what I was wearing, not when Andrew was here.

"I had asked Libby to attend tonight," Andrew said, "When she went missing, I had to be sure she was all right,"

He turned eyes filled with so much hope towards me that I felt my heart begin to stitch itself back together.

"I wanted to tell you, I really did," I said, reaching for his hands, "But they packed me up and shipped me off before I could,"

Xavier cleared his throat again and I fixed him with a glare.

"Oh Vee will you just go upstairs already?" I said, "I know I'm in my nightdress and I know this is highly improper but will you please stop acting like a territorial older brother!"