Chapter 19: A Sneaky Seamstress

"It appears you've been summoned to the seamstress," Ella said over breakfast a few days later, as she read through her letters. Emily was sullenly picking at her porridge next to me while Rosanna was humming to herself as she stirred yet more sugar into her tea.

"Is that so?" I asked, trying not to pause the fork on its way to my mouth. Ella was frowning at me as she re-read the note.

"I think I shall accompany you, I need one of my day dresses adjusted," she said, neatly folding the note and dabbing her lips with her napkin, "Shall we?"

Rosanna and Emily hastened to rise, but I was still attempting to shovel down what I could of the half eaten breakfast on my plate. I very much resented Ella for tearing me away from the most delicious stack of griddle cakes I'd ever tasted.

"Which dress?" Rosanna asked, confused.

"The...pink one," Ella said, "And the lilac one, now that I think of it,"

Rosanna furrowed her brow as she left to go fetch the dresses.

"I don't recall there being a probl-" Rosanna started, only for Ella to cut her off.

"I should very much enjoy not being kept waiting," my cousin snapped, checking her appearance in the full length mirror in the corner. I took Rosanna's delay as an opportunity to take another bite of griddle cakes as Emily scowled at me from across the room.

"Libby you lead the way, after all you are so familiar with the seamstress' quarters," Ella said when Rosanna had finally emerged and dumped the dresses into my arms. I was still chewing on the mouthful I'd managed to sneak in, so I simply nodded. Emily made a disgusted noise in her throat, but I barely had to glance at her to cause her to turn away, still cowed from our conversation a few nights ago outside the library.

Ella followed me along the empty hallways, all the other debutantes still lounging in their suites before the queen was to take them all out for a walk in the gardens later that morning. We walked in silence until Ella cleared her throat.

"If I discover that this note from the 'seamstress' was anything but a summons for a fitting, you know I'll be forced to send you home" she said, her voice low as we made our way through the entrance hall. I was just as confused as she was, since I had nowhere to sneak off to this morning. Since our encounter in the library, I'd only seen Andrew from afar, most of the evening events being exclusive for the debutantes only. I hadn't even been able to sneak down to the library while Ella was away as it seemed she'd commanded Rosanna to keep a watchful eye on me whenever she was out.

"Ella I honestly have no idea what's going on," I said. She shot me a look.

"Then I'll have you know that whatever dress she's fitting you for, it won't be paid for on my account. I have no intention of indulging in your opulence, you're a lady in waiting and not a debutante," she sniffed.

I tried my best to hold in a snort. Not a single one of my dresses could be considered opulent, especially not next to hers. But I could understand where she was coming from, especially since Edward had likely made it abundantly clear that I was not to spend another shilling of the family money.

When we arrived at the seamstress' quarters, Audra was waiting for us outside the door to her workshop. Her eyes widened as she took in my cousin walking beside me, but she recovered well, plastering on a smile and looking not at all as flustered as I guessed she was.

"Good morning, my lady," Audra said, dipping a low curtsey. I tried to catch her eye to discover what was going on, but she simply held open the door to her workshop. I sent up a quick prayer that we wouldn't walk inside to find the prince standing among the gowns and fabrics.