Chapter 6.1: A Pair of Book Lovers

When I'd heard Penelope sing and watched Ashley win game after game of backgammon, I'd had just about enough of the queen's salon. Much as I tried to struggle through the etiquette tome, my eyes kept being drawn out the magnificent floor-length windows to the grounds below.

At half past two, when my belly was rumbling in anticipation of afternoon tea, there was a fuss at the windows where Sara Thornbury and her ladies in waiting had artfully arranged themselves on the cushions.

"There he is!" someone hissed

"Isn't he handsome?" whispered another. The queen had looked up from her embroidery, the ghost of a frown flitting across her features as more of the debutantes crowded the window. Emmeline and Mary all but pushed Sarah's ladies out of the way as they clamored for a view of what I guessed to be crown prince Andrew.

While they jockeyed for positions, however, Ashley and Penelope were shrewdly watching the queen's reaction. Her sniff of disapproval was reminiscent of Miss Halpern and I knew instinctively that the three crowding the window had made a mistake in being so eager to spot the prince. As I cast my eyes around the room, they met Princess Anne's once again, only to see hers jump between me and the gaggle at the window.

"Ladies, that is quite enough," the queen said finally, when the whispers had grown to titters and finally to shrill little squeaks. The three girls at the window quieted immediately, turning sheepishly towards the queen.

"I think we shall take our tea in the garden, as there seems to be such an interest," she said, setting aside her embroidery to rise. When Rosanna hopped to her feet to dip a curtsey with the others, I followed suit, not-quite-accidentally forgetting the etiquette book on the sofa.

The queen led us out of her solar, Ashley and Penelope falling in step behind her with their ladies in waiting in tow. Ella and Emily were frantically motioning for Rosanna and I to hurry up, which I did until a small hand grabbed me by the elbow.

"You seem to have forgotten this," Princess Anne said, holding the etiquette book out to me once again. I forced down the sigh I was longing to heave.

"Thank you your Highness, however could I have forgotten it," I managed. Ella left the room with her two other ladies in waiting before Sarah could cut in front of her. The princess still had me by the arm as the room emptied out, a few maids scurrying about to tidy it up.

"If I may, your Highness, I believe I'm supposed to follow my debutante," I said finally, when the princess' study of me persisted for a few more seconds.

"You like books," she said, ignoring me.

"They are one of my preferred pastimes, yes," I replied, shooting a worried look towards the closed door.

"Do you really want to go out there for tea? You know that all they'll do is fawn over my brother and cackle with laughter to draw his attention?" Anne said, following my eyes. I glanced back at her, unable to keep my eyebrows from lifting with shock. In response, the princess shrugged.

"They nearly tumbled out the window when he rode by downstairs. My mother took them all outside as a bit of a joke for Andrew. He hates this, you know," Princess Anne said. I blinked, then blinked again.

"Forgive me, your Highness, but should-" I started, unsure exactly what to say in the face of such honesty.

"I'm going to show you the library," she interrupted, linking her arm with mine, "Because you seem like the sensible kind of girl who prefers reading over cackling,"

I bit my tongue to keep from spouting whatever excuse my manners mistresses would have had me make. I desperately wanted to see the palace library, if only because of how enthusiastically Xavier spoke of it, but my absence from tea time would likely not go unnoticed. However, the princess was already leading me off in the opposite direction from the giggling of the debutantes and their ladies, down the hallway into the depths of the royal household.