Chapter 6 - Teething

Redbeard had become somewhat like a teething infant, chewing on everything in sight. He chewed on the swirly telephone cords, Sherlock's homework and his bed's legs, and now, items that Sherlock couldn't be let off the hook for.

Already, Redbeard had chewed up a pair of Mycroft's dress shoes, which, to him, were casual shoes. Sherlock popped his head into Mycroft's bedroom one day to find Redbeard chewing on an umbrella.

"Redbeard, stop!" Sherlock rushed towards his friend and gripped the umbrella. The two played a hard game of tug-of-war, which ended with Sherlock being the victor, though he had fallen onto his back, the umbrella falling onto his chest. "Great seas, Redbeard!" He sat up and looked down at the object that was now in his hands. In his attempt to save the umbrella, Sherlock only allowed his dog to maim it.

The air had a monotonous sound of rain thumping on the roof of the Holmes' home. The sky outside was dark, and the two Holmes brothers would have to leave for school within the hour. Seeing the hole in his brother's only umbrella terrified Sherlock. His brother would not be happy once he discovered it.

"Before he gets out of the bathroom," Sherlock put the umbrella back on its rack and motioned for the dog to follow him, "come on. Hurry!" He ran out and past the bathroom door, Redbeard on his heels the entire way to his bedroom.

Sherlock hopped onto his bed, Redbeard jumping on it as well. He spun in a circle, almost chasing his tell, and then fell down into a curl. Sherlock occupied himself with putting on his shoes and tying them as slowly as he could.

Mycroft stuck his head in after a few minutes. "Ready to go?"

Sherlock felt himself gulp, though he did his best, though he knew he would fail, to look anything but suspicious. "Erh ... yeah. I – goodbye, Redbeard. See you when I get back." Redbeard hopped up and licked Sherlock's cheek, making him smile, even though he knew he was going to be in big trouble.

The two brothers gathered their things and headed out, stopping at the front door to open up their umbrellas. Sherlock's heart beat like a dozen hummingbird' wings. He watched as his brother held the umbrella over his head and stepped out the door into the pouring rain.

Within seconds, he was not only drenched from head to toe with rainwater, but his expression had become quite choleric. A waterfall poured onto his head from the top of the umbrella, soaking his school uniform. He was steaming and he slowly turned to face his younger brother, who looked on at him wide-eyes. His skin went pale as his older brother's turned red.

"I guess I should tell you that Redbeard isn't completely trained yet...." Sherlock let out a nervous laugh.

Mycroft stared daggers at him.

I am terribly sorry for the two year hiatus of this story. This is literally like the actual series. I am so, so terribly sorry. I've not been able to figure out anything very good for this story so I've just kind of avoided. I will do my best to actually update from now on, though. Promise. xxx
–OH