Chapter 2- The Gift

“Sherlock,” Mycroft said, entering his little brother’s bedroom on Christmas morning. “Mother wants us all in the sitting room.”

            Sherlock sat up in his bed, and rubbed his eyes. After a moment he spoke, “I don’t understand Christmas. We all sit around a plastic tree all morning and give each other boxes wrapped in paper, which all hold something none of us want, like ugly jumpers only meant to be worn at Christmas. We all pretend to be happy and at the end of the day, we have stuffed ourselves enough to make us sick. There is no point to any of this.”

            “Well,” Mycroft said. “Maybe this year will be different.”

            “Balance of probability.” Sherlock said.

            “Just come on, or Mummy will be upset with you.”

            Sherlock stuck his tongue out at his older brother, who gave him a glare and then turned away and walked out of his room. Sherlock threw his blankets off of himself, and got out of bed. He took a moment to try to calm down his hatred towards Christmas, trying to make this as pleasant as possible, but getting nowhere, he walked out of his room and to the sitting room. When he got to the sitting room, what he saw under the tree almost made him scream with joy.

            A dog.

            Sherlock’s eyes lit up as he got down on his knees and patted his lap. A big, beautiful dog, and Irish Setter to be exact, lay under the Christmas tree. Its fur was long, and reddish brown. Its long pink tongue hung out of its mouth as it panted. There was a red bow wrapped around its neck, like a collar. It turned its head towards Sherlock, and stood up, running towards him and knocking him backwards. Sherlock laughed as the dog licked his face.

            “I think he likes you.” Sherlock’s mother said from behind him, smiling.

            “I believe he does.” Said his father.

            “I agree,” Sherlock said between laughs. “I know I like him.”

            His mother laughed, and his father picked the dog up off of Sherlock. Sherlock sat up and pet the dogs head.

            “We’ve been thinking about getting you a dog for awhile now…” His father said.

            “But none of them caught our eye like this one did.” His mother finished.

            “Thank you so much!” Sherlock thanked his parents.

            “I’m glad you like him.” His mother said.

            “He still needs a name.” His father said, giving Sherlock a smile.

            Sherlock thought for a moment, but it didn’t take him long to figure out the perfect name.

            “Redbeard!” Sherlock said happily.

            “Redbeard?” His parents said in his unison.

            Mycroft, who had been sitting on the sofa, rolled his eyes. “Yes, of course it is Redbeard.” He said.

            “Why Redbeard, Sherlock?” His mother asked.

            “Because that’s what a pirate would be named!” Sherlock explained, laughing again as the dog licked his cheek.

            “Obviously…” Mycroft trailed. Sherlock wanted to be a pirate, so of course his dog would have a pirate’s name.

            “Mycroft,” His mother scolded. “Behave yourself!” Mycroft smiled, and his mother went to sit on the floor with Sherlock, his father following soon after.

            “Now, there are responsibilities.” Sherlock’s father told him.

            “You will be responsible for taking care of Redbeard,” His mother said. “You’ll have to feed him, give him bathes, train him…”

            “Yes,” Sherlock said, his smile still not vanishing. “Of course, mother.”

Another short chapter, they will hopefully be getting longer soon. I just wanted to go ahead and bring Redbeard into the story. :D

Remember to comment, vote, and follow me for more! Anyone who comments or voted get a dedication. c: 

Thank you so much for all of your support, with all of my stories!!!! You are all fantastic!!!! :Dxxx

-OH