Chapter 3- Caring is Not an Advantage, Father

“Sit!” Sherlock commanded.

            Redbeard stood still, his head slightly cocked. Mycroft stood in the entry of Sherlock’s bedroom, watching his little brother.

            “Come on Redbeard! Sit!” Sherlock commanded. The dog cocked his head more, and Sherlock sat on the edge of his bed. “Okay, maybe tomorrow.”

            “You need to make it want to sit.” Mycroft told him.

            “How am I supposed to do that?” Sherlock asked.

            “Hold a treat, and don’t let him have it until he sits.”

            “Do we have any?”

            Mycroft takes a dog biscuit out of his pocket, and tosses it to Sherlock. Sherlock holds it in his hand, and shows it to Redbeard, who starts jumping.

            “Sit!” Sherlock commanded. Redbeard continued to jump.

            “Hold it behind your back.” Mycroft suggested.

            Sherlock did as Mycroft said, and Redbeard stopped jumping. Sherlock commanded him to sit again, and Redbeard just stared at him. After a moment, he sat down.

            “Good boy!” Sherlock praised, giving the dog the treat. Redbeard happily accepted it and lay down, holding the biscuit between his front paws as he chewed on it. Mycroft half smiled as he saw how happy his little brother was. Sherlock didn’t notice though, he just pet his dog’s head and Mycroft left the room.

~          ~          ~          ~

            “Mikey,” Mycroft’s mother asked as he entered the sitting room. “Where’s Sherlock?”

            “Where do you think?” Mycroft asked.

            “Is he in his room with Redbeard?” His father asked.

            “Yes,” Mycroft said. “Has he even left his room since yesterday morning?”

            “A few times,” His mother said. “But Redbeard was always with him.”

            “He really loves that dog.” His father said.

            “Yes,” Mycroft said. “And one day, he’ll regret it.”

            “Why would he?” His father asked.

            “Because caring is not an advantage, father,” Mycroft told him, quietly so Sherlock wouldn’t hear if he left his room. “Not even animals live forever. One day, Sherlock is going to find that out, and it’s going to hurt him.”

            “Mike!” His mother scolded. “Let’s not think about that.”

            “Mycroft is the name you gave me, mother,” Mycroft said. “If you could just struggle to the end, that would be lovely.”

            “Mycroft,” His father sighed. “Why would you think like that?”

            “Remember Harrison?” Mycroft asked.

            “You were five Mycroft.” His mother said. “You probably barely remember that bloody cat.”

            “Well, I do remember. I just don’t want Sherlock to go through that pain.”

            “You were five.”

            “Yes, I was.”

            “Everything will be fine, Mycroft. Why don’t you go play with Sherlock and Redbeard? You almost never play with him anymore.”

            “I’ll pass.” At that, Mycroft walked out of the room, and his mother let out an exasperated sigh.

     I've decided that this won't be like an entire story. It will just be a bunch of one-shots. The end won't be anytime soon though, don't worry! I just thought that I should add that ending to show that Mycroft does care for his little brother.

     Vote, comment, and follow me for more! i really appreciate all of your support! :D xxx

-OH