Chapter 17--Feeding Time for the Alien

Chapter Seventeen

Feeding Time for the Alien

   Julius led me over to the counter where bowls of food were sending tantalizing aromas into the air. Julius then excused himself. “If you will be all right, I have my own chores to do,” he said, before disappearing back through the kitchen doors without even giving me a chance to disagree.

   I looked down at the huge wooden bowls and had a sudden nauseating flashback of Lakahatchee High’s cafeteria, because, looking down at the food choices, I didn’t see any food that I recognized except for maybe the pan of stew and who knew what kind of meat was in it. I stood staring down at it bewildered when Luke came up beside me.

   “Don’t eat the green stuff. It’s called Clek-tzu,” he whispered. “That’s for the Nintuks.”

   I looked at the bowl of green, curly, leaves that at first glance I thought was salad. “It looks like a cross between moss and escarole” I whispered back.

   “Exactly. It’s bitter as gall, too, I hear. Mauk loves the stuff.”

   I looked up at Luke, then over to where Mauk, the Lizard man, and Princess Ranaloxa were still rolling silverware. “You know him already?”

   “Sure. He speaks English. They all do. It’s been the primary language here for a couple of centuries. I guess since all the explorers started wondering around the globe in those sailing ships and running into gateways. Mauk’s cool. When he gets a break, I’ll introduce you.”

   I just looked dumb-founded at Luke. “How did you learn all this so fast.”

   “Loxie is a walking encyclopedia about this place.”

   “Loxie? My, my, aren’t we getting chummy with her royal highness,” I teased, batting my eyes at him.

   Luke took immediate offense while his face turned as red as a boiled shrimp.

   “Never mind,” Luke huffed. “Figure out what to eat on your own, little sister!” With that he stomped away and went back over to his new friends.

    Sheesh, me and my big mouth, I thought. I was just racking up points with everyone today. I looked back down at the bowls of food in despair. How was I ever going to figure out what was okay for a human to eat.

“Having trouble deciding what to have for dinner, are you?”

   I recognized the voice behind me and lifted my head. Nigel came up beside me.

   “Yes,” I smiled. “As a matter of fact, I am. I suppose after three days on this planet, you must be something of an expert.”

   “More like learning by doing, so to speak. I was so hungry, I grabbed a little of everything that first day.”

   “So, do you always learn your lessons the hard way?” I laughed. “That's how I learn most things.” I tapped the side of my head. “I’ve got a hard head.”

   Nigel tapped the side of his own head. “That makes two of us. Maybe tonight I can help keep that from happening to you.”

   “I’d sure appreciate the help. I’m starving and I’m scared to try anything.”

   “Well, let’s see.” Nigel pointed towards a huge bowl of what looked like boiled purple rocks. “Try the gorge potatoes. They taste like potatoes. Don’t let the purple color throw you off. They’re not half-bad.”

   I picked up a wooden plate from a tall stack of them. It felt warm to the touch. I plopped one of the gorge potatoes on it and smiled up at Nigel. He had hazel eyes, I couldn’t help but notice. They lit up when our eyes met and he smiled. Then he looked back down at the food offerings.