Chapter 37--Unexpected Visitors

Seriously.  Could Uncle have been drinking?   It had been a while since I heard that light tone in his voice.  Usually the only time that happened was when he’d had a few with his old cronies on Poker night.  Just then, his voice was drowned out by the raucous sound of others joining in with their playful demands.

     Why were Uncle, Luke, and Andrew back so early?  They usually didn’t come back until the dirty brown sky warned it was sunset.  The Hermits closed their eyes a mere second then opened them in consternation.

     “They’ve brought others back with them,” William Helm growled angrily, whipping out his sword with an ominous swishing sound.

     “Calm down, Sir William.  They didn’t know better,” soothed Natos.

     Vorst chewed his beard in agitation.  I swear, it’s a wonder Vorst didn’t get a hair ball.   “We were distracted,” he said, taking his beard out of his mouth long enough to gripe.   “We should have seen them coming.”

     “No,” Jung cocked his head thoughtfully.  “The one the half-breed warned you about blocked us.  His power is strong, if misdirected.  His shield around them is almost impenetrable.”

     “Who is this one you are talking about!”  William Helm demanded, assuming a fighting stance.  Knees bent, sword swung back over his shoulder with both arms, he looked ready to chop someone’s head off.  I shuddered.

     “You mean Nigel?” I screeched.  “Call off this dog, Jung, before somebody gets hurt.”

     “Dog?” William Helm raked me from head to toe, his hateful glare coming at me in waves.

     “Stand down, Sir William,” Natos soothed, laying a hand on William Helm’s arm.

     “Yes. The one we were warned about,” Jung answered. “He is here…..to see you, Missy….”  

     “Really?” I was elated.  “Well, let them in, then.”  I couldn’t hide my eagerness.  The Hermits had to realize I was only eighteen—and very lonely.  “What are ya’ll waiting for?”

     Natos closed his eyes, and the box of globes vanished.

     Varak and Vorst translocated at the same instant to the outer gate, with William Helm right behind them.

     Jung laid his hand on my arm, and instantly we were back in the dining room.  The swiftness of the translocation made me dizzy.  I sat down with a plop in the nearest chair. 

     Luther poofed instantly into my lap from out of nowhere.  Had he translocated, too?  I hardly had time to think about the how of that.  My whole attention was directed to fighting off the nausea caused by the translocation.

     “Missy, you OK?”

     “Yeah, just as soon as my stomach catches up.”  I lay my head down on the table, hoping it would help.  It didn’t. 

     It suddenly dawned on Jung what the problem was.  “Tea will help.”    Instantly two cups of Farrow Fruit tea appeared in front of us on the table.

     “Wow!  That was quick.”  I said as I sat back up.

     The Hermits didn’t usually take advantage of their myriad store of magical abilities, preferring to do most things the natural way. 

     I tried to wrap my mind around Jung being frightened; and failed.  Yet, it was apparent in the way he moved—with little jerky movements far too fast for any normal human to follow.  Also, the fact that he didn’t even try to hide his sorcery from me, gave him away.  I could feel his fear oozing off of him like drops of sweat.