Chapter 39--Our Little Secret

“Julius,” I sighed when he let me up for air. “How did you get in here?”

“I told you translocation was a useful tool,” he smirked down at me.

I wasn’t sure if I liked his smirk or not. Too much had been happening to me. It was sad how much of what I remembered about Julius had faded in one month. For instance, I had remembered his eyes being a more intense shade of green than they looked now. And I remembered his hair being so black it had a bluish gloss to it, not the dusty, lifeless black it was now. I thought after a month I would be starved for the sight of him, when the truth was, I didn’t know how I felt about him being here like this. In my room. Without an invitation. Something just didn’t feel right. Or, had too much happened already today, and I was on feelings overload?

Julius had no such hesitation. His eyes roamed all over me as he reached out and touched my hair as if fascinated by its color and texture. That was one thing I did remember exactly and it made me smile to see how reverently he reached out and touched my hair.

I had done it up in my usual braid this morning, but with all the strain of the day, the defiant springs of curls had been creeping out all afternoon. There was no such thing as hair spray or gel here on Dardara. Julius found the loose tendrils fascinating. He tried to literally drink the sight of them with his eyes.

However, my hesitation finally sank in as I kept remembering what had happened downstairs. Reluctantly, Julius let his arms drop and he walked over to the window.

“Storm, I am not convinced you are safe here.  Look what happened just now,” he said over his shoulder.

“What did happen just now? I have been safe until this afternoon, I might add. Did you feel that?

Julius didn’t speak for a moment.  “Yes,” he finally admitted.  “I felt it, too.  My question is whether the Hermits felt it.  On that answer hangs your safety.   Your life, Storm.”

“Of course they felt it. How do you think I survived, if not for their strengthening my mind from whatever that was.”

“It took them long enough to act, though, didn’t it?”

“Why didn’t you help, if you knew? That could have happened anywhere, and you know it.” I had followed him over to the window when he continued to stare out the window. Was it so I couldn’t see his eyes or facial expression, or was I imagining things?

“Th-, there were reasons I couldn’t come to you any sooner.” He turned and glanced at me before turning away again. “I hate you being here,” he said over his shoulder.

Why wouldn’t he look at me, I wondered? Aloud I said, “Have you really looked at this place? It is a fortress. Four of the most powerful wizards on Dardara live here with me. Where else could I go to be safe, if not here, Julius?”

“There is a place.  But it’s a last resort.”

“There is?”

“The Hermits must see about keeping the Nintuks here on Sundays. You have to have bodyguards,” he said changing the subject. “Insist upon it. It’s your right. And no more company!”

“Today is the first time I’ve had any company. I feel like I’m in a prison as it is, Julius. Aren’t even prisoners allowed visitors? Where do you get off ordering me around anyways?”

Then I thought of something. “Why are you here, Julius? I mean. I’m glad you’re here but how did you get here? Is it coincidental, or what.”

I turned away from staring at his back and went to sit down on the edge of my bed and waited for an explanation.

Julius grinned wickedly, turning at last and walking over to me. “Not as coincidental as you might think. I can shape-shift, remember? Varak and Vorst were so eager to get the gate closed, they never noticed the little black field mouse that slipped in along with your Uncle and brothers.” He stood there leaning against the bedpost.