Chapter 18--A Home Away from Home

Chapter Eighteen

A Home Away From Home

Chloe knocked on the door and bounced up and down on her toes while she waited for someone to open it.  Nigel and I stood behind her.  Something buzzed near my ear and I found myself clutching at Nigel, while covering my ears with my hair that still dangled around my head like a curly red mop.

 Luke answered the door finally, his smile wilting like a neglected houseplant when he saw it was just us, and grunted by way of acknowledgement before he turned wordlessly back into the room and over to what was obviously a living area.  My first impression of our new living quarters was one of rugged space.  The height of the room went up and up into the darkness of a ceiling hidden from sight .   A balcony ran the length of the room over my head, keeping the proportion of open spaces in balance and was such a contrast to our little duplex shanty back on earth I felt like I was in the presidential suite of some mountain retreat by comparison.

Two straight-backed, hide-covered couches faced each other like soldiers across a battlefield forming the arms of a U-shaped sitting area.  Luke silently walked over and plopped down on the far couch like he was used to such a luxury of space.  All this big masculine oversized furniture was a far cry from the slim settee and one lazy boy that comprised the living room furniture in Uncle’s shanty.  I felt I could take very deep breaths in this room.

Two mammoth chairs sat side by side, opposing generals at the head of their troops, completing the U-shape that faced the true focal point of the room—a black stone-mantled fireplace.   Sheesh, a real fireplace.  They may have to pry us out of this house. The mantel was huge, and carved all over with the same kind of runes as the ones on the frieze that surrounded the top of the gateway.  It looked like the same black mineral as the black stones on my necklace.  What had Dr. Spinner called it?  Onyxi-something?   

Chloe’s exuberance could not be dampened by Luke’s lack of greeting.  She spied Andrew kneeling by the fireplace about the same time that he looked up and saw her.  His face lit up.  “Hi, Chloe,” he grinned, totally ignoring me and Nigel. Of course he didn’t know Nigel yet, anyway, but come on.  I was his sister.  “Do you know if they have any wood stacked around here anywhere?” 

I didn’t even realize that Nigel and I were still holding hands until Luke looked at our hands and then back up at me with a raised eyebrow.  Okay.  Payback for my teasing him about the princess earlier.  Blushing, I slipped my hand out of Nigel’s and crossed my arms over my chest as I took a step away from him.  I didn’t realize how chilly the room was until I no longer had Nigel’s warmth near me.   No wonder Andrew was trying to get a fire going.  This place was like a cave.

Chloe practically skipped over to my brother.  Nigel and I followed her into the room.  Chloe squatted down by Andrew.  “Whatever do you need wood for?”  Chloe asked, truly baffled.

“I thought I would light a fire, it’s a little chilly in here.  But, I can’t find any wood to burn.”

You would burn wood just to keep warm!” Chloe drew back, horrified.

 “Jeez, chill, Chloe.  You’d think there’s a law against it or something, the way you’re acting.”

“Well, as a matter of fact,” Chloe huffed, perching her fists on her hips, “There is!”

“A law against burning wood?”  Andrew looked at Chloe askance.  “Right.  What kind of law is that, for Pete’s sake?”

“It’s a law designed to protect what little forest we have left on this planet.  That’s what kind of law it is!  I don’t know about where you come from,” Chloe retorted, righteously indignant.  “But we protect our natural resources here.  Our wood is so precious it is practically sacred!  You can’t just burn it!”