[ 5 ]

[ Dedicated to titanss ]

[ Cassandra’s POV ]

 I was hoping Melanie wouldn't notice who had thrown that basketball that had practically left an imprint on her right cheek, but unfortunately for me, she did.

“You!” Melanie stormed towards me, eyes ablaze with fury. Everyone had stopped playing and their attention was focused on us. I looked around frantically for the P.E teacher – whose name I didn't know – but he wasn't anywhere to be found.

Some teacher he was.

Melanie had now come to a halt in front of me with one hand on her hip while the other one came up to shove me roughly on the shoulder. I stumbled backwards, losing my balance and falling to the ground with an oomph.

“Who do you think you are?” She sneered down at me.

Where the heck was Lisa?

If I remembered correctly, she said she was taking a break and had wandered off into the girl’s bathroom.

But with an extremely menacing supermodel-like figure staring down at me in disgust, it was pretty hard to remember anything.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn't scared out of my wits.

“C-c-cassandra.” I stuttered, unable to meet her steely gaze.

“Did you throw that ball?” Her tone was so sharp; I couldn't help but cringe a little.

“Uh-” Why was I so afraid of her? It was as if she emitted some sort of don’t-mess-with-me vibe.

Well, she did actually.

“Yeah, she threw it, and it was an accident, so what are you going to do about it, cake-face?” What? Who said that? That didn’t come out of my mouth for sure.

I craned my neck up to look at Shane, who was standing behind me and staring daggers at Melanie.

She looked stunned for a moment, then quickly recovered and scowled at me, who was still sprawled awkwardly on the floor.

“Next time, Cassidy.” Melanie hissed, stalking away.

I had an urge to yell after her and tell her that my name was not Cassidy and that it was Cassandra, but that would just land me in a bigger mess.

“What’s going on?” Lisa’s concerned voice suddenly asked.

A hand entered my line of vision, and without thinking, I grabbed it, assuming it was her, but when a tingly feeling shot up my arm, I realized the hand didn't belong to the blonde beauty.

“You all right?” Shane asked, pulling me up beside him.

“Uh, yeah.” I breathed.

We were close, too close.

I stared into his blue orbs, which were clouded with worry. 

 “T-thanks for that.” I coughed awkwardly, breaking eye contact and turning away. 

“No worries,” I could hear the smirk in Shane's voice. “Good shot by the way, you hit the bulls-eye.” I laughed, easing the awkward tension a bit, and Lisa grinned, shooting me an bemused look.

“So that’s why she looked like she face-planted the floor with one cheek, it was so red.” She chuckled. “Come on, the bell’s about to go, let’s change.” She grabbed my hand and pulled me along after her.