[ 11 ]

[ Dedicated to Floats ]

[ Cassandra’s POV ]

“I can’t believe I lost!”

“You came second at least.”

“But I was so close! I could have finished first!”

“Calm down, it was just a race.”

“Yes but I could have –”

“Are you even listening to me?”

I watched on amusedly as the guy who finished second – Robert I think his name was – threw a childish tantrum. He had almost beaten Shane, and was now sulking about the results to his girlfriend by the poolside. 

Yeah, Shane the annoying git had won.

“Not even a ‘congratulations’, Cass?” Speak of the devil. 

Shane approached the bench where Lisa and I were still sitting, grinning from ear to ear. He had gotten out of the pool right after they had announced the rankings and dried himself off, then slipped on a t-shirt and hoodie. The medal ceremony was going to be held later on today.

“Leave her alone Shane,” Lisa scolded, but she was grinning too. “We don’t need to boost your large ego anymore.” I laughed at his exaggerated pout. Then Daniel and Jason appeared behind him, both fully clothed and dry as well. 

“Good job on third and fifth,” I said, smiling at the pair. 

“That’s not fair!” Shane burst out, pointing accusingly at his best friends. I didn't know how he was mature enough to be eighteen. “They get congratulations’?”

“Yes, now shut up and be quiet,” Lisa gave him a withering look. “I’m trying to hear what the next event is.”

“Screw the other events, let’s go home,” Shane said, already picking up his backpack from where it sat on the bench.

“Okay, see you later mate,” Jason said, waving. 

“Huh? Aren’t you guys coming?”

“No, we’re staying here and showing support for our teammates,” Daniel chipped in, sitting down beside me.

“You’re all losers,” Shane finally gave in and dropped his bag back on the ground. “Move over,” He said, crossing his arms and glaring at Daniel.

Daniel wasn't affected by his friend’s hostility; if anything, he seemed amused. “What if I don’t?”

“Then I’ll –”

“Just scoot over Daniel,” Jason said, sending a smirk in the direction of his sister. Honestly, what was with those two and the funny all-knowing looks?

Daniel obliged and moved over on the bench so there was an empty space next to me.

Great, I had to sit next to the prick for the rest of the day, and I really didn't want to. 

Too late now, I thought glumly, as the said prick settled down beside me, but not without sitting on part of my right leg in the process.

“Ouch, get off me you pig,” I complained, shoving him roughly. Of course, he didn't even move a muscle.

“Nice try loser,” He smirked, but shifted off my leg anyway, after 53 agonising – yes, I counted – seconds. Finally.

The five of us sat on the bench without bickering for the remainder of the morning, watching the rest of the swimming competition. Jason had to leave for half an hour or so at around noon though, to participate in another event. He came first in that one.