My Imaginary Boyfriend *Déjà vu

"Why does Maegan always serves the ball to your direction?" Leanna asks.

"I don't know," I say, even though I have an idea on what's it all about.

"Because she's her target," Kamille chimes in, passing the ball to the other side of the field. One of the members of the other team touches the net in catching the ball so it's another point for us.

I'm already gasping for breaths even though it's just a couple of minutes before the games started. Sweat pours down my face and I wipe it away with my sleeve.

Caleb and Alex play really well. They can be a member of volleyball team. The audience are enjoying themselves as they watch the Vandom brothers play. There are even girls cheering for them. Caleb and Alex are just here for a couple of days but they're already famous.

"Annalise!"

Lawrence pushes me out of the way and jump serve the ball before it lands on my face.

"Keep your head on the game!" Coach yells, making my classmates laugh hard on the bleachers.

Caleb catches my eye and then he winks at me, the same time the other team passes the ball on his direction. It's a good thing that Alex underhand it on time.

"Caleb, don't stare at Annalise!" Coach chastises, but there's a hint of smile on his voice.

The boys snort at the comment while the girls throw me daggers.

I shake my head to clear my thoughts. I have to keep my mind set on winning. The score is 17 for the opponent and 22 for us. Three more points to go and we'll win. And then I can shower and change into comfortable clothes.

I hear their warning. At first, I don't get it. And then I see the ball, high above the air. It will land to my face, I realized too late. Everything's happening in real slow motion. I try to move out of the way. But as I mentioned, it's too late. But still, I try.

Unfortunately, my feet don't want to move. I hear shouts around me but before I can do anything to stop it, the ball hit the side of my head. Its impact makes me fall to the ground, face first.

Not again, I think. And that's when I black out.

"Get out of the way!"

Too late, I think. Too late.

It's too late because when I turn, the ball's on my face already. Before I know it, I'm falling on the ground. Everything around me becomes blurry at first and then all my senses shut down at once.

It's the next day when I wake up. Is it? Maybe it's still Wednesday?

My head is throbbing, like there's someone hammering on the inside and out. I haven't opened my eyes yet but they feel heavy. When I hear footsteps walking inside the room, I feign sleeping. I make my breathing normal so that whoever walks here will not know I'm just pretending.

Where am I in the first place? The bed where I'm lying is much more comfortable than my own bed. The pillows are soft. I can feel a lot of blankets surrounding me.

The footsteps are moving closer and closer to me. The person sits on the chair beside my bed and puts something on the drawer. It sounds like a tray because it clatters when he sets it down. And then I hear him sigh.

After that, there's silence; a complete and total silence. I wonder why the person isn't making any noise. I'm so curious; I want to find out who he is. Based from his sigh, I decide that the person is a boy.

"I know you're awake."

Without opening my eyes, I know that it's Alex. His voice is so familiar, it can be my own. Still, I don't open my eyes.