My Imaginary Boyfriend *Nemesis

"I've missed you," Daniel says, "It's been a while since we saw each other."

It's been days. . . I've been caught up with the reality to be in my safe haven.

Daniel wraps his arms around me and I lean my head on his shoulder. Ah, this is comfortable. Beside him is the best place in the world.

"I missed you," he repeats, "and I missed holding you like this."

Even though we've been together for a long time, his words and actions still makes the butterflies in my stomach flutter. He's so sweet, I want to wrap him and bring him to the real world.

"I missed you, too," I tell him. "I'm sorry I've been out and about for the last couple of days."

"I thought you already forgot about me."

His words send an electric shock through my body. Forget him? How can I? I'll never do that. I can't.

I sit up straight and look at his expression, if he's hurt or if he's just kidding me. Unfortunately, he puts his poker face on.

"Daniel," I say, holding his face with my hands, and staring deeply into his ocean blue eyes, "I will never forget you. You're my boyfriend."

He smiles, but it doesn't reach his eyes. "Okay," he responds.

My heart beat increases frantically; I don't know why I'm suddenly nervous.

"Annalise, are you okay?" Daniel asks, looking worried.

I can't find my voice, so I just nod.

"Your hands are shaking." He takes my hands from his face and holds them tightly. "Hey, I'm here," he says, squeezing my hands, "I'll never leave you."

"R-really?" I stutter, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"I'll be with you as long as you want me," he says, putting his arm around me, while holding both of my hands with his other hand.

"Promise?" I ask, biting my lip.

I can't lose him. He is the only one I have, he's my anchor. He makes waking up bearable.

He nods. "I'll stay even when you don't need me anymore."

"But I'll always need you," I say, hugging him close to me.

He smiles. "What do you want to do today?"

What do I want? I can't think of anything when he's already with me. "I just want to be with you," I reply. I can feel the blush creeping onto my cheeks.

When did I become so melodramatic? I'm so embarrassed.

"We're together now," he says, brushing the hair from my face. "Do you have anything particular in mind?"

"Let's just stay like this," I say. "Daniel, do you want to hear a truth?"

"I always want to hear something new about you."

"Sometimes, books are better companion for me than people," I admit.

He pulls away slightly and looks intently to my eyes. "Is that the reason why you only have plenty of friends?" he asks.

"I guess," I say. "And I'd rather read my books than be with real people."

"Why?" he asks, a frown creasing on his forehead.