My Imaginary Boyfriend *The Story Within

"It's hot!"

"That's why it's called hot chocolate," Daniel says amusedly.

We're in Bean Stalk, the famous coffee shop in town.  It's raining outside. The wind is blowing the trees. Even through the glass window, I can still hear the honking of the cars because of the traffic.

"Annalise."

I snap out of my thoughts and find Daniel a few inches from my face. I pull away out of habit. Even though we're together, human contact is still bizarre.

"Say ah," he says, opening his mouth wide.

I frown. "Why?"

"I'll feed you."

"No!"

"Why not?"

"I can eat by myself," I say, glancing around us.

There are a lot of people in the coffee shop, and I don't want them talking about us making a show. I know, it's just my imagination, but it doesn't change the fact that we're surrounded by people.

Daniel rolls his eyes. "Come on."

Come on, Annalise, it's just in your head. Don't be shy.

Daniel smiles at me encouragingly. How can I resist him?

"Fine."

I open my mouth and let him feed me with a slice of triple vanilla cake coated in chocolate.

"Happy?" I ask wryly, wiping my mouth with a tissue.

He gives me a thumb up. "Can I read your story?" he asks, excitement creeping in his voice. "Have you written the continuation yet?"

"Yes," I answer, rummaging my bag for my notebook and handing it to him.

He easily finds the page where he stopped reading.

"After their dinner, Clay invites Alyson to stroll in the Boardwalk. She quickly agrees because it's her first time to stay out late with a guy. Besides, Clay is taking good care of her, and she's having a great time. She doesn't want it to end yet."

Daniel pauses and sips his hot chocolate. He gets the notebook and begins again, "Alyson has no idea that Adam is just behind them, following them from a distance. She's too happy to even consider that Adam cares about her."

Daniel glances at me from the notebook and says, "I really feel bad about this Adam guy."

"You know what they say, you see someone's worth when they're gone."

He cocks his eyebrow. "Is that so?"

I shrug, and he continues reading.

"Clay brings Alyson to the fountain where they sit on a wooden bench. They talk about their dreams and fears, what they want to do after they graduated from high school. Apart from Adam, Clay is the only guy whom Alyson feels comfortable with. She stops being shy around him, and she freely answers his questions.

Clay is an easy person, she thought to herself.

She can't wait to tell her mother about her date, but at the same time, she doesn't want to go home yet.