Prologue

"The sword is lost to us."
"No, it's not." Maximillian Demeter surveyed the members of the Order who had responded to his summons before continuing. "A member of this Order discovered it some time ago and said nothing. They betrayed us."
He smiled at the reaction to his words. The older members of the Order believed that possession of the sword would guarantee their power. The younger members still needed proof of this particular blade's power to insure their continued allegiance.
"Who? Who betrayed us?" Someone called out.
"Rodolfo DelaVida."
The collective gasp from the group elicited a laugh from him, which was quickly pounced on.
"How can you laugh Max? Rodolfo is a respected member of the Order as was his father before him." It was no surprise to him when Abigail Helms, the oldest member, was the first to question him.
"Abigail, Rodolfo betrayed this Order when he denounced us." Demeter made sure he had everyone's attention. "By refusing to let his daughter become a member he started himself and his family down this path." He tried his best not to sound condescending since he needed their support for what he wanted to do.
"How do we know he has it?"
"Oh, we know. He beat us to the sword by less than a day." Max hesitated, "He had his granddaughter with him."
Abigail glared at him and he shifted uncomfortably under her gaze.
The Order had waited over three generations for another whisperer, someone who could connect with the ancient blades and tap into their history, their power. Once it had become apparent that Rodolfo's granddaughter, Katerina DelaVida also had the gift, it had become the goal of the Order to recruit her. Her grandfather had been completely against it, knowing what the power of the blades could do to her.
Max Demeter on the other hand believed that his bloodline was the one to hold dominion over them, not DelaVida's. He was convinced that his son Morgan had the same ability; the fact that he hadn't demonstrated it yet was a slight matter that he did not concern himself with. He wanted that sword and the power it would guarantee him. Time was no issue for him. Rodolfo was. It was time for the obstacle that was Rodolfo DelaVida to be dealt with.