Chapter Thirteen

My eyes fluttered opened to stare at a blank white wall. I started to push myself up but only felt pain in my abdomen. I cringed and dropped back down. I stared up at a white ceiling. Where the hell was I? My hand moved up to brush hair from my face when I stared at my wrist, tape on it where a tube was connected to an IV under the tape. I just stared at it, my turning to the side a little as I let my fingers run over it. My fingers moved to the scratchy sheets of the bed before the cotton gown I was in.

I moved in the bed, rolling on my side staring at a monitor next to the mattress. Lines were moving across it easily. I turned my head to the side again and saw a small red square button, the words call written across it. I lifted one hand and pressed weakly on it. There was a buzzing noise for about five seconds before it ended. I kept staring at the button before I heard the door creep open. My eyes flicked towards it where a woman stood in a nurses uniform. It was bright pink and stung my eyes slightly. Then there was a tall slender man moving behind her. “What’s going on?” My voice was cracked and my tongue was dry.

“How are you feeling?” The woman asked, completely acting normal around Eb who was behind her. I just stared with wide eyes at Eb.

“What are you doing here?” I hissed, trying to push myself up before I squeaked at the pain.

“Relax. You don’t want to hurt yourself further.” The nurse said as she moved towards me, watching the monitor next to me. “She’ll be okay. Everything looks fine. Let me know if you need anything.” She said, her eyes moving to mine as she smiled before heading out of the room. It left Eb and I alone.

“Oh Sage.” He said as he sat down in a chair that was right next to the bed. He reached out, his fingers moving towards my face, but I growled. “It seems the last note didn’t get your father here, but we’ll try again.” He gave me a wry smile and I glared at him.

“Where’s Zaleck? Is he okay?” I breathed out, now remembering what had happened.

“He’s fine. Why do you want to know?” That was a good question. Why did I care about him?

“I was hoping he died so I wouldn’t have to put up with him.” I snapped forcefully, hoping it didn’t sound like I was lying.

“Well I have to go. I just wanted you to know that we will be contacting your father again. And I wanted to make sure my precious princess was okay.” He said with a harsh laugh. I glared at him, as he stood up to leave.

I slumped back in the bed when he was gone only to hear the door open again. “Leave me alone!” I snapped, lifting my head up to be surprised. I thought Eb had come back to taunt me, but instead I was staring at a tired looking Zaleck. He always looked tired though. “Sorry.” I breathed out as he moved silently to the side of the bed.

“You’re doing really well. You’ve only been in here for a day.” He said as his fingers brushed across my cheek. I closed my eyes at his touch, swallowing. “I’ll have to make sure your stitching don’t come undone and your wounds don’t get infected. But other than that, you’re going to be fine.” He said as he leaned down over me. His fingers moved through my hair gently. “Are you ready to go home?” He asked as I looked up at him.

“Yeah…” I mumbled quietly.

---

A good hour later, I was laying in Zaleck’s bed, completely sore. “Zaleck?” I called out as he was heading for the door.

“What Sage?”

“What happened?” I asked, watching him lean against the door frame.

“We’ll talk about it later. You need to rest.” I let out a huff and turned my head away from him.