Lunch

I woke up with her in my arms. She was facing me with her hands against my chest. She looked…peaceful… I didn’t want to wake her up. I was comfortable. The blanket was up to our waist, she was warm, and I was still tired.

                Some of her hair had fallen across her face and I wasn’t sure I’d seen anything more beautiful. I didn’t really want to get out of bed and disappear. I just wanted to stay here with her.

                I must’ve dozed off or something because I was woken up by Sara shifting. I kept my eyes closed and pulled her tighter against me. “Don’t go.” I mumbled. I wondered where that came from.

                I heard her chuckle and relax into me again. I cracked an eye open to see her smiling. “Do you have to go anywhere today?” She asked.

                I remember trying to avoid this. I’d make up excuses and try absolutely everything to get out of being with the woman I had just slept with, but all I wanted was to stay with her today. I sighed and said, “Actually, I have to do something this morning. I left my friend Jan in my apartment.”

                “Oh.” She sat up and I couldn’t hold her there. I think she thought I was making one of those excuses.

                I sat up and lifted her chin up to look at me. I kissed her the way she kissed me last night, that soft one with no expectations. I wanted her to know that she was different. That this wasn’t just a good lay that I would ignore. When I pulled away I said, “It’s Saturday, and it won’t take long. I’ll take you out for lunch.”

                “Another friendly meal with a possibility of sex?” She smiled.

                I felt something in my chest hurt. That’s what this was from the beginning. Friendly dinner and sex. That’s all I wanted this to be anyways, so I wasn’t sure why it hurt when she said that, but it did. I forced a smile and hoped it looked real enough and said, “Sounds good to me.” I got out of bed and started pulling on my clothes. “I’ll call you before I leave, okay? You don’t need to get real dressed up or anything, it’s just a friendly lunch.” I smiled and started buttoning up my shirt.

                “Yeah, sounds like fun.” She picked up my jacket and tie from the ground and handed them to me. “Tell Jan I said hi.” She smiled and walked me to the door. I heard it shut behind me and I got in Jan’s car.

                When I opened the door to my apartment and yelled, “Jan!” I heard a loud thump.

                Jan stood up from the other side of the couch and glared at me. “I fell off the damn couch. I see you spent the night by the way. Leaving me here alone all night.”

                “Not my fault.” I said and walked into my bedroom. I changed into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

                Jan raised an eyebrow when she saw me. “A t-shirt? I haven’t seen you where a t-shirt in ages.”

                “I’m in that sort of mood.” I grumbled and sat on the couch with her.

                “What happened?”

                “I went on my first date in ages. It was great. Absolutely wonderful. And this morning I said I’d take her to lunch and she said that she’d like to go to another friendly meal with me and a possibility of sex.”

                Jan rubbed my shoulder and I just scowled. “So, you gotta make this time even greater. Maybe she was joking, but you have to let her know that you want more.”