(Almost) The End

Chapter: (Almost) The End

Author: Axel Otto

Tucker was kissing me. He was kissing me in front of Maggie. He was kissing me in front of the entire beach. I shoved my hands against his chest.

"What the hell are you doing, fuckboy? Is that not your fiancé, RIGHT THERE?"

Tucker only laughed. His eyes lit up and he threw his head back and really laughed. Then, he grinned at me. "Not anymore."

I was confused. I glanced over his shoulder at my sister who was watching the two of us with interest, not disdain. "I don't get it."

Tuck took a step back, looking confused himself. "You know, I don't quite get it either. She just gave me back the ring and told me to go to you. So I did."

The both of us stood there for a few seconds, idiotic confusion written all over our faces. I pushed Tuck aside to find Maggie, but she had disappeared. Someone tapped my shoulder a second later, and I turned to see a smiling Ms. Oaks.

"Boys, what are you doing out here? Come have a drink."
Both of us were too perplexed to answer. I gave her a dumb sounding "uhhh" and Tuck just stared. "Oh come on! Come, relax, you're on vacation! Your book is finished, you don't have to worry about anything."

I grabbed Tuck's wrist, Ms. O's words shocking me into some sort of realization. "How did you know the book is finished?"

Ms. O stared back at us. "You two have been reading it nonstop. And, I was sent one myself. Well, I haven't really gotten a chance to read it considering your sister stole it from me when she realized it wasn't being put to good use, but that doesn't matter now. All that matters is that you two get some beers in your hands!"

Tuck and I exchanged a look. "I guess that solves that mystery," he muttered. "I can't believe Dave sent one to my mother."

By now, Ms. O had wandered back towards the bar, the back of her dress billowing behind her. "Yeah," I said, watching her leave. "Weird."

I didn't mention that I was the one who asked Dave to do so. After all, Ms. O was so Team Axel.

Tuck took a deep breath. "Whatever, it's done."

"Yeah. I guess everything is sorted. Looks like everything worked out for you, man."

Tucker frowned, then grabbed at my hand. He looked at it briefly, then looked at the other one. Then, he looked back up at me. "Can I have your room key please?"

I was certainly a bit disoriented, but I pulled it out of my back pocket and handed it to him. "Did you need something?"
He bit back a smile. "Yeah. Stay right there."

I didn't have a chance to ask any more questions, because Tuck left me in a full-blown sprint towards the hotel. He came back five minutes later, sweating through his button-up. I laughed as he nearly keeled over in front of me.

I waited as he caught his breath, his hands gripping his knees. It took him a couple seconds, but he finally stood up and looked at me.

"Sorry..." he was very out of breath. "I had to go all the way up to the tenth floor for this shit. And then I had to figure out where you were hiding it."

"Hiding what, Tuck? What's going on?"

He only smiled at me. "Tuck, you're scaring me."

He got down on one knee. "Okay, you're scaring me even more now." He just kept smiling.

"Axel Octavius Otto."

"No fucking way."

Still, he beamed up at me. Then, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small, green felted box. 

"Earlier today, you asked me to tell you how I feel about you."

"Tucker, get up." My hands were shaking.

"And I told you I loved you."

"Tucker, I'm not kidding, get up."

"But we've been telling each other I love you since high school. Saying I love you is nothing new to either of us."

"Tucker, please," I was begging now. He was still fucking smiling.

"But, today, today is different. Today..." He paused. I watched his adams apple bob up and down. I could feel how nervous he was. "Today I'm telling you that I'm in love with you."

This time, I was speechless.

"I'm telling you Axel," he started to get up off the ground. One of his hands gripped mine. "It's always been you. I've never wanted anyone else; I don't know why I tried to kid myself all these years. I don't know why I didn't tell you I was in love you the first time we kissed. I don't know why I didn't tell you I was in love with you when we had that fight about Maggie and how she gets everything that you want... including me. I don't know why I've been the biggest pussy bitch in the planet," he paused for me to laugh. "But I do know one thing. I know that I want to spend the rest of my life on this planet... with you."

He opened up the box. His father's ring was inside of it. I had brought it with me everywhere since he gave it to me.

"So do me the honor of taking this ring again?"

I looked up at him. "For real this time?"

Tucker laughed. "I'll even put it on you, too."

"Then, fuck yes."

He did put it on me, but first he kissed me. He kissed me long and hard and full of a passion that I know he never had with Maggie.

"Seriously, Ax?" he asked me once the ring was on my finger. "You kept the ring in a box of condoms?"

I burst out laughing. I forgot that I had put it there. "Of course I did; they were the two most important things I brought!"

He kissed me again. "Never change, Axel."

"Do you even hear yourself? I put a wedding ring in a box of condoms. I haven't changed a bit."