Ron's Mistake...

Hermione

The first few weeks of term passed without hitch.  Hermione and Draco seemed to get along, and her friends grew less and less opposed to the idea that she really was stuck with him.  Her grades were fantastic as usual, and as were her friendships.

On a cold, November morning, Hermione woke early and left the dormitories through the portrait hole before Draco was even fully awake.  She had been skipping breakfast at least once a week to go to the library and research veelas and their mates.

After immersing herself in many different books, she realized that she was needed to leave for her History of Magic course.  Reluctantly, Hermione left the book behind and sprinted down the corridors to make it to class on time.  Harry and Ron had saved her a seat in the back of the classroom with them.  Sitting down gratefully between the two boys, she found it difficult to pay attention to the lesson before her.  Her mind kept wandering to a place where she couldn't recall it: Draco.

I don't love him...but then why do I allow him to stay in my bed?  And he's truly being overly possessive...but I know that he will always be only faithful to me.  And he is the most attractive boy in Hogwarts...that in itself is a bonus.  But am I ready to tie myself down to one person?  Even if it is to save their life...NO.  Hermione no.  Draco doesn't deserve to die.  No matter how much the situation frustrates you, you couldn't do that to him even if you tried.  And veelas, being incredibly advanced with their senses, will always protect their mate...though there is less of a need for that now that Lord Voldemort's gone....and-

Hermione's thoughts were cut short as Harry incorrectly answered a question beside her, jolting her awake.  Rolling her eyes, she whispered the right answer to him under her breath, and he corrected his mistake.  "Thanks," Harry mumbled.  She smiled in response, and let her thoughts roam once more.

..........

..........

Later that day, the three friends walked beside one another on a course to the Great Hall.  Halfway there, Ron screamed out in exasperation, "Bollocks!  I've forgotten my quill again!  Will one of you come back with me so Professor Flitwick doesn't imitate a howler while I find it?"  Harry had spotted Ginny ahead, and rushed up to greet her enthusiastically.  Ron turned to his brunette friend.  He looked inquiringly at her.

"Alright fine!  Let's go.  We're not missing the pie for this quill of yours!"  She begrudgingly changed paths and turned around back in the direction they had come.  "We'll be back real soon!" Hermione called over her shoulder to Harry, who was too busy with his girlfriend to notice their absences.

"Just think: someday Harry is actually going to be my brother in law."

"He's practically a part of your family now," Hermione said.  "Will it really make all that much of a difference?"

Ron thought this through.  "I guess not so much.  He'll probably just spend more time with my sist-his wife, than me."  He hung his head, sighing.  "Everyone's going to be busy.  Harry with Ginny, and you with the prat.  That is unless you've changed your mind...."

"No Ronald I haven't."  Hermione rolled her eyes at the stubborn wizard in her company.  Ron stopped walking in the hallway, and a look of realization crossed his face.  Slowing her pace, she leaned in closer to catch the last of Ron's mumbling words.  "....hasn't kissed him, then he won't know seeing as he's not here!"  Suddenly, Ron had a hold of Hermione's wrist and had dragged her into the nearest alcove.

Laughing Hermione said, "Ron you're talking crazy!  Are you sure that you don't want me to take you to the hospital wing instead?  Why are we in this alcove?  Did you see Peeves??"  Hermione's voice lowered slightly at the last part, and she instinctively inched closer to Ron in hopes of avoiding a said annoying spirit.