Recovery

Draco

Draco's arrival at St. Mungo's had caused somewhat of a commotion.  The mediwitches and wizards and rushed immediately and taken Draco's father into care.  They attempted to pry Hermione off of him, and were greeted by a vicious, snarling veela.  It was only when the wizards on staff informed him that she could possibly die without immediate attention, that he finally relented and agreed to release her from his care.

...a little while later....

The distressed blonde veela paced across the waiting area outside of the corridor they had taken Hermione down.  He couldn't rest until he felt his mate at ease once more.  How could I have been so stupid???  Draco swiftly pulled his hands through his hair.  In exasperation, he punched the wall he was standing nearby. 

The young wizard finally broke.  Sitting down, he put his head in his hands as silent sobs raked through his body.  It's all my fault...my fault....my fault!  Bitter thoughts swirled in Draco's mind.  Other wizards around were risking curious glances, but he paid them no attention.

"Mr. Malfoy?" a young witch's voice asked tentatively above him.  She was clearly unsettled.  Draco's eyes wrenched upward to stare at the person speaking to him.  When he realized that she was in uniform, he grabbed her by the collar, and rammed the terrified woman into the wall.

"Is she ok?  Can I see her?  I need to be with her now."  The veela had no intention of hurting her, he just needed information, and he needed it now.

"C-c-could you p-p-pput m-m-me down p-p-p-please?"  Dropping to the floor, the witch regained her balance.  "She asked that you would come back and see her."  Hermione was feeling anxious, and Draco's emotions matched hers exactly.  He needed to see her.  Hurriedly, he was led down the corridor and entered the third door on the left after the witch.

"Well you Miss, are very lucky to have someone here who cares so much about you.  If there's anything that I can get you, just pull that rope, and someone will come." 

"Thank you," Hermione replied.  The unsettled witch left the room hurriedly, leaving the two alone together.  Draco stood unsure of himself in front of the door.  "Draco?  I-I don't know what to say.  I'm so sorry!"  The veela stared back at her in shock.  "If I had listened to you, I would've been able to find the library easier, and then I wouldn't have gotten lost, and I wouldn't have run into your dad, and then none of this would've happened, and then I wouldn't have had to put you through all of that worry!  And, and I'm sorry!"  Tears started pouring down from the young woman's eyes.  Draco rushed over to console his mate.

Wrapping his arms around her he said, "Hush, hush now."  She nuzzled her face into the crook of his neck.  "None of this is your fault.  If anyone's to blame, it's me and my wretched family.  I never should have brought you home with me for break!"  Hermione looked up at him. 

"This isn't your fault!" She protested.  "What could you have done?"

"I could have been there for you!  I am supposed to protect you, and keep you safe from harm's way!  And look where we are now!  I've failed miserably!  You almost died!  I don't know what I would have done if something had happened to you hadn't recovered..."  Hermione reached up and stroked the side of his pale face.

"You haven't failed me.  If anyone's to blame, it should be your father!  He attacked me in the hallway when I was looking for your library, and then levitated me down to the dungeons.  He blocked off our connection with a spell so that you couldn't feel my pain, and then he started in with the torture.  He-he-" Hermione drew in a steadying breath of air.  "He whipped me until my back was slashed open and destroyed.  Then he used the Cruciatus Curse.  I don't remember how many times.  Over and over and over and over again.  He wouldn't stop!  I remember thinking, 'This is it.  I'm going to die down here.'  I threw a stone at his head and knocked him out when he was distracted.  Then I tried to escape.  I made it to the doorway.  My strength failed.  I couldn't believe that that's how you would find me.  Broken and bloodied.  It was as I thought death was near, and my 'last thoughts' were about you.  Draco, I love you.  And you and your father are completely different people.  None of what happened is your fault at all!  I promise.  Now can you just look at me? Please?!?"