Independence

Draco

Making their way through the long corridors of Hogwarts, many students huddled close together to fight the chill in the air.  The hallways were filled with the coldness of winter air.  None were warmer than one Hermione Granger.  The brunette in question had been wrapped up in scarves and multiple extra layers of clothing by her mate.

Draco had caught Hermione sneezing in their common room this morning, and (despite her many protests) had bundled her up.  He hadn't wanted a sick mate on his hands.  The two lovers were on their way to meet Harry and Ron in the McGonagall's office.  Draco glanced over towards his mate and saw her trying to loosen the clothes from around her body.  The two stopped at the bottom of the statue guarding the Headmistresses office.  The blonde turned to his mate.

"Now now love, leave those clothes be.  I dressed you up for a reason.  It won't do anyone any good if you catch a cold."

"I told you before that I was fine.  This-this is just....unnecessary!  Draco I promise you I'm fine.  I look ridiculous and I'm sweating like a pig!  I am perfectly capable of dressing myself.  I can think for myself, act for myself, and certainly take care of myself!  I'm thankful you want to help but right now I think you can help by not trying as hard."

"I think you look spectacular," Draco said, smiling and moving closer to his mate, brushing past her rant.

"Well that may be, but the rest of the world doesn't usually find a clumsy walrus attractive!"

"Why do you care if others find you attractive? You have me." Draco growled out the last words, and his demeanor changed into an entirely more possessive man.  

"Yeah yeah I have you.  After this meeting I'm going back to the dormitories and changing.  Don't try to argue with me Draco Malfoy," Hermione added when she saw the man's mouth opening.  "I am an independent woman and I will do as I please without your permission!  I don't need your seal of approval to live my life!"  He huffed in frustration, and muttered the password to the statue.  The two scampered up the stairwell as quickly as possible, and made their way into the lavish room.  Two thirds of the Golden Trio awaited.  Ron and Harry both gave wide-eyed stares to Hermione's attire, and Draco's veela growled at their gazing at his mate.  Hermione rolled her eyes and moved to take the seat next to the two men.

"Now that we're all here I'd like to begin this discussion." McGonagall made her presence known by flicking her wand, conjuring a tea tray that laid itself out before the present group.

Draco sat protectively close to Hermione as the five launched into the task at hand.

"Now," the professor began.  "I, along with other members of the staff here, have placed an abundant amount of wards around the castle to deter an outside threat.  Wards have been specifically strengthened around the room that Mr. Malfoy and Ms. Granger share.  Teachers have been told to be on high alert.  Now, Mr. Malfoy, I speak directly to you.  Remain calm.  You have nothing to fear, but I will not continue until I have assurance that you will be in a stable state of mind."  Draco tensed visibly.  What could possibly be so horrid that the old woman couldn't just spit it out?  Draco felt Hermione lace her fingers through his, and regained his calm state. He smiled at the gesture, took a deep breath and turned to face the woman before him.

"I promise to remain calm and composed."

"Thank you very much Mr. Malfoy.  After much debate between some of the other professors, we have come to the conclusion that the people that attacked your mate are receiving help from an inside source."  Draco's eyes narrowed, and his grasp on Hermione tightened significantly.  The room waited with bated breath, all sets of eyes on the veela before them.  "Remember your promise to myself and the others present in this room," McGonagall stated tensely.  "Remain calm.  Currently Severus is on high alert, and I know if there is someone that you believe will aid you, it should be your godfather.  The man is more than capable of discerning the culprit, and given a few days, I have complete faith that the name of the perpetrator will be before us."