Twenty Seven

"I still think it's a little... Shady... That Elizabeth doesn't remember anything from the last time she saw her brother if you ask me." Says the younger one, and once again the older cop slaps him.

My father speaks up for the first time in, well, months and my mouth practically drops to the floor by what he says.

"I agree."

"What the fuck! Dad do you see my body? I've been fucking mauled up by God knows who and you want to insult me like that? I'm so done with you!" I practically spit at him. I don't remember why I hate him so much, sure he's pretty bold, but I've only ever been mad at him for small reasons. I don't remember ever hating him this much.

"Don't speak to your father like that, Elizabeth! He's been worried sick about you!" My mother exclaims shocked that I snapped at him.

"Oh right mom, I can practically feel the emotions pouring out of him. All you want is the fucking attention so piss off!" I yelled at her.

"Ok calm down, everyone! You guys have been through tremendous difficulties, but let's not get riled up here. The doctor said she would have limited memory, and to let her rest so she doesn't get stressed out. Eventually it will come back, and when it does, we will find the man who did this to her." I like the wise cop. He eventually was able to herd my parents out of the room, the whole time them muttering things like "so ungrateful" or "why'd we have a second kid?" And I just ignored it.

I hadn't even noticed they were gone until I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in." I say rather bossily, and finally I see Nick walk in. The only person I wanted to see right now.

"Wow, someone grew some balls on her vacation now didn't they, Izzy-Pissy?" And he chuckled while closing and locking the door behind him. He called me that when I was grumpy, usually following by "is the devils waterfall overflowing again?" But he left it at that, for now.

"Thanks for locking the door. May keep the assholes at bay." I say, referring to my parents.

"Anytime lil' sis. So how's the dilapidated body? Haven't seen you this outta shape since off season." He mocks referring to winter when I wasn't conditioning for softball season.

"Like a million bucks, asshole." I lie.

Everything was going great, he was keeping my mind off things until he gave me the look. The Nick look he gave when he was going to drop the goofy façade and get serious.

In response I just rolled my eyes and waited patiently for whatever he was going to say.

"I'm gonna kill him, you know." He states, matter of factly.

"How do you know it's a he? What if it was a girl looking for revenge?" I ask, trying to avoid the serious conversation.

"Because since when have you ever had that kind of drama before, and because if it were a girl, you would have beat her ass and she would be laying on this hospital bed instead of you." I can't help but to laugh at that, but stop remedially as I feel my whole body protest in pain.

"I know, I'm so funny it hurts, right?" He mocks, but I can see the concern in his eyes.

"Shut up. Ty I don't want to be in this damn hospital." I say, and his eyes widen.