Chapter Thirty

He looked over my shoulder with an anxious expression before grabbing me under my elbow and quickly pulling me through the doorway.

Once he closed the door, he turned around and looked at me, his eyes... Looking deeply into mine, I couldn't understand the expression, but I felt all his attention on me as he slowly made his way over.

Before I knew it, he had me in a full embrace, my body molding perfectly to his, but I didn't return it. My muscles tensed, and I squirmed a little. He seemed to notice and reluctantly let go, his face showing pure hurt.

I felt guilty but he should understand that I was confused and scared.

Finally, he cleared his throat and started to speak:
"Um... I, I don't know where to start..." He said, still upset.

I took this as my chance to speak.

"Your name is Ty?" I decided to ask him if everything I knew so far was true.

"Yes."

"And you kidnapped me?" Obviously, I mentally face palmed myself.

"Yes..." This one was more hesitant and I couldn't imagine why.

"Why would you do that? And why would you say we had a "love story?" What did you do to me that I ended up In a hospital with NO memory? Why do I get butterflies EVERY time I see you even though I'm terrified?" All of that wasn't supposed to come out... Especially not like that... My face is flushing and I'm not sure how he would understand a single question...

I noticed his lips quirk up in an almost unnoticeable smirk, happy that I spilled my guts about how I viewed him.

"Because I'm hot." He answered arrogantly. And I got pissed. But before I could open my mouth to retort a bitchy comeback, he cut me off.

"And because you subconsciously remember. You know that you have- had... Feelings for me..." He answered much more solemnly. And I calmed down, even though I liked this answer much more, it still left me with so many questions...

"How could I fall in love with someone who hurt me so bad?" I asked out loud unintentionally and I immediately see his face contort in pain.

"I don't know how to explain this to you, Iz, but I didn't hurt you. I never have." He answered and then he added: "at least not intentionally."

I was about to question him on what he was implying, but I was once again interrupted.

"Look... I cannot say that this isn't my fault, because I'd be lying to your face, and I promised no more lies. But what I can tell you is that none of those marks are from me... I would never do that to you, I love you so much, and I know it's hard to understand because you don't even know who I am anymore. But think of the one person you love the most, and imagine them waking up one day without even recognizing you. But worse, you think I'm the monster that did this to you."

As he was speaking I pictured my brother, and what it would be like if he viewed me the way I view Ty.

But he continues with his speech:
"You were kidnapped by me, this is true, but once you understood why, and remembered who I was, you immediately took my side. And that reason is my sister. I need to take care of her, because our parents are no longer able to. So you and I ran hoping to get the ransom that  your parents could easily afford, instead they left us hanging. They left you waiting. It made you upset, and I know you were hurt, And it killed me to see you that way. But our paths crossed with someone who has been looking for revenge on me for a while. When he realized how much you meant to me, he did this to you. And I have never felt so hopeless in my life. But I don't know how to help you remember what we had, and it kills me."

As he speaks, no memories resurface. Nothing, just an empty void of confusion. Is he telling the truth? Do I trust this man who took me from my home and used me for money?

But even with this subtle doubt, something inside me knows that I do really care for this person in front of me, who is spilling his secrets again. Standing there in tears, exposing his- our dirty laundry and begging for my forgiveness and affection.

And for that reason, I reach forward and cup his face, while raising on my tiptoes to offer a kiss. Not one of lust, or doubt, or confusion... But one of trust.

As soon as my lips touch his, he embraces me and brings his hand around my waist, capturing the moment. And that is exactly when I pictured myself standing in a forest, dehydrated, afraid, but also in bliss. As my memories come crashing back, our kiss deepens, until we both let go in desperate need of air.

Softly, as if not wanting to ruin this fragile moment, I whisper: "I remember." And he starts crying, tears of joy and relief. I bet he thought I would never accept him, thinking he was the one to do this for me. And it saddens me that he blames himself, when in reality, there's nowhere I would have rather been.

I don't really care that we were constantly in danger, or that I was betraying the trust in the ones that were supposed to love me. The only thing I will ever regret about my adventures with Ty is the lying that my brother could never deserve, and the fact that Ty still has no way to care for his sister.

"What now?" Ty asks, drying his tears.

"Well, right now I have to go back to my room before my brother mauls me. He must know I'm gone by now, but we will figure out a way to get the money. I just need to heal fully. And with my memory back, it won't be long until I'm released." I say glad that I can go and eat some actual food.

"How do we keep in touch in the mean time?" He asks, worried that I will lose contact with him.

"Just come to my room, no one visits after my "diner" and no one will recognize you anyway. If people ask questions I'll just say you are my boyfriend that I had in secret before I got taken. It's not a big deal, I promise." At that I peck his cheek and make my way back to my room.

I try to sneak past the doctors by hiding behind food carts, or other visitors, trying to blend in... But I got caught. By my nurse. Who was red in anger.

"Where have you been! I was worried sick! You don't understand how much your brother has been nagging me about finding me or "I'll lose my head." Come with me right now!" She practically screams.

"Ok, jeez I'm sorry, I just couldn't stand that damn stuffy room anymore. It was driving me crazy!" I try to cover up.

"Oh, so you just leave, without notice, leaving your brother and I to practically die of worry. That was so inconsiderate! You aren't in any shape to be disappearing on your own." She lectures rather loudly.

"Actually, I think doing exactly that was good for me... I remember some stuff." I state as her eyes widen in surprise.

Of course I know I have to be careful on what I reveal, because I don't want Ty to be incriminated against in any way, but I still think I can sell the last asshole to touch me as my kidnapper. That would completely get Ty off the hook, and we can start planing the money issue without worry.

"Oh thank goodness, I was worried you wouldn't get them back, honestly! It's rare but can happen. But don't worry, I won't tell the doctor tonight. I will let you rest, because as soon as I tell him, the cops will be crowding you asking for every detail." As she explains that I get bombarded with both relief and fear. Relief that I can rest for tonight, and fear that the one curious detective will try to see through my lies, seeing that he already doesn't trust me.

Finally, we reach my room where my brother basically attacks me out of anger. But my nurse attaches all the needles and wires to me, kicking him out of the room. Once again, I am very thankful that she is my nurse. However, the peace only lasts a short while.

When she's finished, he comes back into my room shaking in anger.

"What the fuck were you thinking? You could have passed out, or been taken again! What if that guy is still here, or found out you left!" As much as his nagging annoys me, I am still very grateful to have him because I know he really does care for me.