~Thirteen~

"I'll call you tonight when I get off work. But in the meantime, dial me if you need something or if anything happens. I want to be the second person you call after you dial 9-1-1. You understand?" Frederick said. We were parked in front of my building, only arriving moments before. It was a nice day out. Beautiful breeze passing that was neither too warm or too cold. The perfect spring day.

          "Frederick, I doubt something is going to happen. So, just relax. Think about it this way, nothing is now in our control. So we have to just let time take its course."

"You're right." He agreed. "But still, you do not hesitate to call me if you need anything."

I walked into my apartment to find Mrs. Winslet and Fluffy sitting in my tiny living room. I figured, since her eyes were close, that she must have fallen asleep when while she was waiting for me. I slowly closed the door behind me, took my shoes off and set my purse on the table before going into the kitchen.

"Hey, I didn't know you came back already." Mrs. Winslet grumbled before stretching her arms. Fluffy's ears perked up as his head raised.

"I literally just walked in." Fluffy got off the couch and came into the kitchen so that I could pet him, which of course I did because you just couldn't resist giving him some love. "I'm sorry my attempt at being quiet didn't work so well."

She waved her hand dismissively. "Don't worry. You know I'm a very light sleeper." She told me. "Tell me. How did it go?" She asked.

"It went okay, I guess. It wasn't overly complicated and didn't take as much time as I would have thought. So, what we need to do now is wait." I placed the tea pot on the stove and turned it on.

"How long?"

"Only two weeks. So hopefully everything works out." I finished making my tea before I carefully carried it with me to sit next to her.

"Everything will be just fine, you'll see." And for the life of me, I had to believe her.

I smiled back and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Are you ready to go meet Billie to look at apartments?"

"Yeah, absolutely. I used to love doing that when I was younger and my husband was still here. It was just one of my favorite pass times." She answered, before adding some information that would blow my mind."It's actually how I conceived the first time." Then slowly but surely got up.

"Seriously?" I was surprised to find out that I didn't know everything about her; I had to take a second to let that sink in. She and I had spent countless moments rehashing her life. My favorite pass time was to just sit with her, doing whatever, while she told me stories related to her life or her time.

Mrs. Winslet told me that when her husband was courting her, she kissed him at the end of their date, after he walked her home. That was just so fascinating to me. That was over sixty years ago. Things had definitely changed.

There was so much more that she had told me. That was why I was so surprised this little jules of information had slipped through the cracks.

But I guess that was something for another time.

"You bet." She replied.

"Well, young lady, I guess today is your lucky day. I need to find a place so I can get out of this dump." I got up and followed her out of the door, closing the door shortly after me.

Now that I had the means to afford a new place, I wanted to make sure I did that before things went any further. Plus I wasn't in the safest of neighborhoods. A few weeks prior, there was a double homicide only a couple of blocks from me. So when I told Frederick that I was looking to move, he was the first one to put me in contact with an agent.

________________

          Billie was waiting in the lobby of the apartment complex we were touring by the time Mrs. Winslet and I arrived.

"I was beginning to think you both forgot about me." She complained when she saw us. I felt bad but there was an accident on our way, which she knew about. "I almost toured it without you, ladies." She joked. A big smile displayed on her tan face.

"How could we ever forget about you, darling." I went ahead and gave her a big hug.

"How was it?" She asked, referring to my appointment from earlier in the morning.

"Simple and quick". I replied, and watched as a man approached us three. I placed a hand around Mrs. Winslet and smiled.

"I sure do hope it all works out for the best. knowing Frederick, he doesn't really like to wait for things he wants." Billie added and I didn't fail to note her little remark.

"What do you mean? How do you know something that specific about him?" I asked, a little confused.

"Well, you know I don't personally know him like that, but I would guess that's how he is, wouldn't you say?" Billie answered. Her eyes directed at anything other than me. That I also did not fail to notice.

Interesting.

Why did I have a feeling she was hiding something from me? I looked over at Mrs. Winslet who looked back at me and just cleared out her throat, but otherwise also purposely kept her eyes away from me.

Yeah, call me presumptuous, but something was definitely up. And I was going to find that out sooner or later.

_____________

It was time.

So, I sat silently on the couch next to Billie and Mrs. Winslet, my eyes fixated on the stick that was currently sitting on the coffee table in front of us. Neither of us were talking. Instead stared with a passion at the object on the table, as if we were ready for it to come to life.

The excitement and nervousness that had been felt for two weeks had now come down to this single moment. This moment that would determine the outcome of the reason why Frederick and I had started this whole thing. I took in a deep breath and slowly let it out, hoping it would help my nerves.

This was it, this was the moment I had been waiting for since we left the clinic two weeks ago. I knew I shouldn't get my hopes up, but I couldn't help but wish that maybe, just maybe the outcome would be beneficial for us.

I knew I wasn't as confident as Frederick. Doubt and fear filled my mind for the whole two weeks that led to this moment.

Yet still, I tried to leech on to Frederick's confidence as much as I could.

"Call me tomorrow and the second you read the positive result on the test." Frederick had said as we stood in the middle of the apartment I had moved into with Mrs. Winslet only a week or so prior.

I had it planned perfectly. Had also known for awhile now that I wanted her to move in with me. I didn't like the fact that she lived by herself at her age. And since I now had the money to get myself a good apartment, I knew that it was for the best.

"Are you always this confident?" I had asked him that same night. A smile dancing on my lips. We had gotten back from dinner, something he had wanted to be a recurring part of our deal. All in the sake of getting to know each other.

Frederick's way of tackling this process had been so far very different than any other surrogate situation I had heard of.

I decided to go with the flow. But still, proceeding with caution.

" As if you don't already know the answer to this question."

I laughed. "Yup, that's exactly what I thought."

He gently pulled me in for a hug before pressing his lips on my temple. "I'll talk to you tomorrow." And then he was gone.

Now here I was, about to find out if I was pregnant and scared shitless that I could be.

I guess there was only one way to find out.

____________
Vote and comment 😆😆