Chapter Nine

This one does not contain horror; it's very light and not very detailed. Its SHORT for a reason. That is because I'll talk more about what happens in more detail, in Cole's POV, in Chapter Ten, but I wanted this chapter to be a 'teaser' for the next chapter. Hope you guys like it and look forward to C10. And guys, don't assume the killer is Valerie. xD

 Chapter Nine

 The adrenaline is wearing off and Cole knows it. He can feel himself slipping, his muscles relaxing, his vision blackening slowly; everything around him is suddenly quiet.

Am I dead?

Suddenly, he is knocking on the white door of a cake-mix yellow house, with huge glass windows which allow every passer-by to marvel at all of the expensive, attractive things inside. Cole finds himself face to face with her...

It’s her.

Valerie’s POV

I stand looking bored, because I am. I’ve got my hand on the door; I’m leaning against the doorway.

“Hi, Valerie.” Cole smiles, the sunlight flitting over his bright blue eyes, making them sparkle a little.

“Hey.” I say, uninterested.

“Is Gwen...?” I knows what he’s about to ask. He’s here all day, every day; I’m used to it. I mean, if anything, it’s irritating how much he comes. He might as well live here.

“Nope.”

“Well, can I...”

“Sure.” I leave the door open, strolling back upstairs. He wants to wait for her like a loyal dog, its owner. He always waits for her.

“Actually, I wanted to...tell you something?”  He makes it sound like a question; it’s almost as if he’s asking himself, not me.

I turn, halfway up the stairs and he takes my hand, leading me to the living room, “Go ahead.” My heart races. Cole’s never held my hand before. Even if he’s only taking me to the living room, it feels... unexplainable. Maybe...I like it. Sort of.

My joggers make awkward noises against the leather of the couch. Cole and I snigger,

“Sorry.” I smirk.

He nods, “So, I’ve been feeling this way for some time now and I didn’t know how to tell you.” He takes both my hands and squeezes them. They are literally pouring with sweat.

What is going on?

“It’s almost unexplainable...”

“That’s what I said.” I blurt, “Thought.” I added.

He chuckles, “But I’m sure of it now. Absolutely positive.” I’m about to pass out. Cole Hart is not saying this right now, and I am not here right now. It is all a dream.

OW. The pinch doesn’t help.

It’s real?

“I love you.” My eyes start to fill with tears and I wonder where they are coming from. I never cried when my puppy got run over, when Grandma passed or even when Dad ate the last slice of birthday cake. But for Cole Hart... Tears?

“I love you, too.” And at the same time, Cole continues, “I love you so much, Gwyneth.”

“Wait, what?” He asks, as do I. It’s like the romantic song playing, the birds tweeting in the background, the perfect sunset – all scratched. What just happened?

“That-that’s...” I search for an excuse as I frantically wipe my tears and drag my wet sleeves along my jogging bottoms to dry them.

After a long, embarrassing silence, Cole bursts out into laughter. Oh, good. There’s a funny side – it was all a joke.

I should’ve known, “It was just a practice.”

“Yeah, yeah, sure. I-I was just acting for you. I...I was just showing you how Gwen would...you know, er, react.” I sniff and laugh nervously, “Yep, she’s a crier!” I laugh louder, longer than I should. Cole stares at me for a moment, leans in...

“Soft.” I mumble. It’s the only thing I can think right now. Cole and I... just...kissed.

“Was that...?” He asks.

“Why are you asking me? I didn’t kiss you. You kissed me.” I whisper.

“Did I?” And again, he leans in...

            It is much deeper the second time. Did I kiss him back that time?

“You kissed me back.” I guess I did.

OW. The pinch still doesn’t work.

            If I’m not asleep...then this is real, and I just locked lips with my sister’s boyfriend.

Wait, no.

He kissed me.

He’s still kissing me...