Chapter Fourteen

-We're coming to our final few climatic end chapters. Will Cole survive the night or not? I'm very excited to be getting to the end of Cheater; it's been an AMAZING journey, and the support has been incredible. So, without further ado, C14!

LOL Update, (20/09/2011): NO ONE IS DEAD. Haha. What I was trying to portray is that Valerie gets hit by a car, and she loses her unborn child. 

Chapter Fourteen

“And then what?” Valerie demands.

“I don’t remember.” He mutters, and then adds, “I swear.”

Valerie, losing patience, starts to tap her foot wildly, getting up from his lap, “No. You can’t not remember. That just... i-it doesn’t happen.”

“Well, it happened.” He states the obvious, something she refuses to believe even though it is plain and simple that Cole’s memory is basically shattered & scattered.

“You don’t remember anything? Not even the big argument?”

“What are you...?” She doesn’t allow him to finish, cutting in with,

“It, er, it went a little something like this...”

            “Get back here!” She stomps behind him, shouting at his back, “Cole Kimberly Hart!”

At this, he turns around, “Gwen! You said you weren’t going to tell anyone about that!” His one secret, his middle name, and now, suddenly, the whole street knows – it is a lot more than embarrassing.

“I didn’t, ‘Kim’.” She gives him a little push and he grips her hand, holds it up like she is his prisoner.

“Gwen.” He holds it tighter, “There’s no need for this.”

“How can you just... just shrug this off like it’s the most insignificant th-”

“All I’m saying is, we don’t need to do this h-”

“You can’t though. You’ve got no r-”

“I don’t know how many times I’ve apologized.” Cole says, dropping her hands finally.

“Not enough.” Gwen looks around, blinking back tears, holding back pain. If it were up to her, she would literally stand on the street and scream. Not words, just a yell to express exactly how frustrated, how betrayed, how hurt she is feeling.

“I love you.”

Gwen actually bursts into laughter; this frightens Cole so much that he starts to back away, “You love me?”

“I do.”

After what seems like a forever of silence, “Cole, there’s nothing... nothing that you could possibly say that could make anything any better.”

“It was a mistake!” He tries, reaching out for her. Gwen turns from him, wrapping her arms tight around her shivering body. Even with the protection of her winter jacket, she is still freezing. Maybe before, the warmth of Cole would keep her feeling snug and secure, but now, her heart is nothing but a block of ice.

“No! You were a mistake!” She blows warm breath into her hands.

“I...I...” What do I say? What can I say? He contemplates.

“You...what?” She shakes her head, unable to look at him, “What, you slipped and fell? Naked? See, I don’t know where you live, but where I’m from, that doesn’t happen. A guy says he loves a girl, he stays faithful. He doesn’t go around, you know...” She trails off, raging.