Chapter Ten

*Basically a fully detailed Chapter Nine. But it's got a twist. This is Cole's version of the memory for anybody that's confused. It's written a little differently and goes differently to Valerie's, because that is the way she thinks it happened and this is the way he thinks it happened, but it's up to you guys to decide who you think is lying (to themselves), or telling the truth. Hope you guys like this!*

Chapter Ten

            BOOM.

The warehouse is actually shaking under the massive roar of thunder, the harshness of the hailstones and the howling, whistling wind. Streaks of lightning race across the sky every now and again.

In the middle of a thunderstorm, in the middle of nowhere, Cole is trapped.

Blood drops into puddles underneath his handcuffs, is stained all around his hands and his arms, yet he struggles on, tearing and tearing away at his own flesh in an attempt to escape from her. Cole is actually surprised she hasn’t noticed all that blood. But then, a broken overhead light is not so helpful in the pitch-black, with the pale white moon as the sole other source of light.

“It’s wearing off.” He can feel himself slipping; it is only a matter of time before he blacks out. His muscles relax, his vision blackens slowly; everything around him is suddenly quiet.

Am I dead?

            The cake-mix yellow house on the end of Rosebush Avenue is being tended to in the front garden with a variety of gardeners, each tending to a particular plant. The windows are being hand-polished by two men on tall, rusty ladders.

Cole greets every single one of them as he approaches the front door. He forces himself out his habit of keeping his hands in his pockets and breathes heavily.

“Today’s the day.” He tells himself, nervous as ever.

            Today, he plans to tell Gwen something he has never told any girl. But it feels right to tell her. He can feel it – she’s the one. His heart is in it... completely.

He rings the bell, thrusts two sweating hands into his pockets,

Scolding himself, the door is opened, “Cole! Hands!” Embarrassed that Valerie spotted his argument with himself, he apologizes, and then adds, “Hey.”

“Hi, Cole.”

“How are you, Valerie?” What is she staring at? The sunlight is practically blinding him, so he steps forward a little, rubbing his eyes.

“Good... I guess.” She leans in the doorway, looking bored.

“Is Gwen-”

“Nope.” She answers his unfinished question; he is so predictable to her. It’s almost routine to her. He’s always at the Blake’s; majority of the time, though, when Gwen’s father isn’t around.

“Oh.” He frowns, looking more saddening to Valerie than a lost puppy. Feeling bad for him, she invites him in.

            He takes a sharp left into the living room and settles there quickly, used to it all, while Valerie heads up the stairs. Within seconds of her ascending, she is back downstairs and approaches the living room, her jogging bottoms rustling with every step,

“Sorry.” She says, sitting down on the leather. Her bottoms make awkward noises, which make them both snigger like children.

“That’s okay.” Cole is sitting on the far side of the living room, while Valerie is perched on the dining table. Why does she keep staring at Cole? What does she want?