5.

"you're going to regret this."

-
Lulu.

Practically screaming in frustration, I hesitantly took a glance at my completely trashed wardrobe that was not aiding me in figuring out what to wear for hanging in Encino, where the Jacksons resided. Shaking my head left and right, I told myself to stop worrying about something so little and choose an outfit quickly as possible. Scrunching up my face, I found a floral, flowing dress which reached the middle of my thighs. I speculated and contemplated all at once, believing that it might not be the best idea to wear this around them-I would probably eventually end up feeling way too uncomfortable and I certainly didn't want that. I grasped small bunches of my curled and extravagant hair, muttering to myself in complete annoyance. Unfortunately, I was worn out from the deconstructing of my wardrobe and placing them back to how they were previously would be absolutely stressful along with the intense heat. I knew I was worrying about my appearance too much-but these were the Jackson 5, I needed to make an impression. There had to be a last resort.

So I ended up placing on a white halter top, with small embellishments of silver glittery stars that barely exposed my stomach and long dark blue flared jeans. I studied my simple, though somehow chic, outfit, smoothing my palms across the top of my hair to pack it into a high puffed up bun-one of the many hairstyles I loved to do. Afterwards (I shoved all of my clothes into the cupboard, making the decision of sorting it out later when I came back), I placed on black trainers, one hundred percent sure I'd feel comfortable in them. Taking a deep breath in, I grabbed my messenger bag and made my way downstairs.

"And where are you going young lady?" my father ordered from where he sat on the sofa, causing me to groan as I knew my attempts to sneak out of this household would be no use at all. Playing with the curly ends of my hair, I exhaled quietly and prepared myself for a brief, believable answer. I chewed my lip, wondering if I should inform him on where I was headed to. I knew if I told my father of where I was going to, he'd have plenty of doubts to express. Although the Jacksons were respectable, well mannered men which was blatant through TV shows, concerts and interviews, my father didn't approve of me hanging around with too many boys. He was too protective. Maybe it'd be an exception this time as they were quite successful and were currently making a change to black music and how it was being treated but...maybe not. You never knew that to expect.

"I'm going out to the store," I fabricated, impatiently tapping my feet against the wooden floor. How long was this going to take? As much as I loved being here, I needed to get to the Jackson's home yet I was appreciating the time being taken as I was so terrified. It seemed like my confidence over the phone had disappeared-I believed it was the fact of not needing to speak face to face that contributed to the confident persona.

"Nearby? What do you need to purchase?" he continued with his interrogation, resulting in me getting a little irked. I knew he wouldn't conclude this 'investigation' until he was satisfied so I knew I had to create another lie in order to finish this quickly.

"A few resources for school. You know...notebooks and folders. I'm soon to run out of them and I figured since I didn't have anything to do today, I would buy them so I don't need to fret about it later on. Possibly with a friend. That alright?" I inhaled, exhausted just standing there watching not only my father's eyes, but my mother's too.

It seemed as if my father wanted to comment a retort on what I just said, but thankfully my mother came to the rescue.

"Dominic, it's fine," Mother laughed softly, patting his shoulder which caused his facial expression to tone down a little. A bright smile appeared on her face; I returned it, suddenly not expecting her facial expression to drop and become serious. "You must be back by five o'clock." I nodded, giving them loving farewells after they dismissed me from my position.