The Wake - episode 6

"Not at all Father. I've been trying to shake off this flu but it just won't go away. I'm sure you've been through the same sort of thing yourself."

"Yes," he said smiling joylessly, "but I haven't been out on street demonstrations challenging the law and being chastised for it. How are you anyway? It's a wonder they didn't arrest you. That wouldn't have looked good you know."

His shoulders then began to shake with put on mirth. "Have you ever heard the one?" he said, spluttering into his free hand. "I suppose I shouldn't be telling it to you at a wake of all places but what would you say now is the difference between a magician's wand and a policeman's baton?"

I waited in disbelief and then saw from his expression that I was expected to ask for the answer.

"I don't know Father," I lied. "What's the difference?"

"Well you see, the magician's wand is for cunning stunts." He stared at me to see when the penny would drop. I smiled slowly, then nodded approval, indicating that it had. His shoulders shook again, pleased. If I'd told him what I thought in return for the penny they wouldn't have been so pleased I reckon. At this point he removed his hand and left me abruptly, realising I suppose that he was neglecting his duties. As I was mine. Three people were waiting to offer their sympathies. Mammy was nowhere to be seen, having gone upstairs to lie down, possibly permanently. 

*** If you like my novel so far would you PLEASE write a short Amazon review of it? Even a review of what you've read so far? If you already have ANY kind of account with Amazon you don't have to buy a book to write a review of it.

I have put the US Amazon link in the top comment directly below this episode.  

If you could look at this I would be very grateful.