The Wake - episode 19

"But wait till you hear now what I’m going to tell you. In them days Bentley always did an after sales kind of service where they’d send some top mechanic out to check how the car was performing. So about three months or something after Hoof buys it this Bentley boy arrives at the building site because that’s the address he was given you see. So Hoof brings him over to it sitting beside a cement mixer that’s churning away.”

Seamus was smiling broadly now, couldn’t wait to get finishing telling it. “The Bentley’s half covered in mud and bits of cement and God knows what else and your man’s sort of thrown by all this but anyway he shouts over the noise of the mixer Tell me, how’s she behaving? And Hoof shouts back at him Tiptop, tiptop, I’m very pleased with her now. She’s a powerful yoke so she is. I was thinking I might put a tow bar on her next week.

Seamus laughed with his head away back. “I was thinking I might put a tow bar on her next week,” he said again. That was in case we hadn’t heard it the first time. We all laughed along with him and I was thinking maybe he was going to say it again because I could tell to look at him he wasn’t finished but what he said was: “Were any of yous ever in the pub Hoof had down in Carndonagh, what’s this you call it?”