The Wake - episode 55

"America," said Bill, "is too busy killing thousands of Vietnamese just so they can save face."

"Right, there's another thing. What are they doing out there anyway?" said Jim. "Is that not the stupidest war ever was?"

"It's about money," explained Bill. "It's a fraud in fact. This thing stopped being about communism a long time ago. It's about arms companies lining their pockets and then giving millions to the Democrats so they can be re-elected. Or the Republicans as you'll see next month."

"They're all a crowd of bastards!" shouted Willie Henry.

Nothing daunted Bill proceeded with his analysis:

"That's why John Kennedy was assassinated of course. And Bobby. He was planning to pull out just like his brother was."

"That's what I always thought," said Seamus. "It's a scandal when you think about it. I've a cousin from Ohio was killed in that Tet offensive at the start of the year and his whole family think he died for his country."

"Well so he did," said Bill. "He died fighting for big business. That's what America is, big business. How would you put it? Uncle Sam plc? A lot of the boys that aren't conscripted join up because they reckon they're answering their country's call."

"Stars in their eyes," said Margie. "Fifty."

"Well, they're fed this pup about the American dream from first grade and a fair percentage never grow out of it," continued Bill, directing his attention to Seamus and Jim as if Margie hadn't opened her mouth. "And do you know that many of them actually think the people who drew up their constitution were inspired by God?"

"Like the boys that writ the bible." This interjection from Willie Henry.