The Wake - episode 27

“I’ll drink to that,” shouted Willie Henry, eyes more or less closed now, bunged up by phlegm or whatever. “God save Ireland!” He then began a pincer movement, two hands closing in stealthily on his crotch, element of surprise being employed obviously, and quickly pouncing, pressing and possibly nailing whatever was there.

“I heard years ago his mother was one of the Pipers from Slaughtmanus,” said Margie. “Did any of yous ever hear of them?”

“He who pays the piper calls the tune,” said Jim.

We were all laughing when Aisling walked in. I nearly dropped the glass when I saw her. She had on a white mantilla and a black leather jacket belted at the waist and down below some sort of a dark knee length skirt and black tights and the breath left me. She nodded blankly ahead and then straight over to the coffin, looked down into it I don’t know how long, it wasn’t long anyway, and next thing was she turned round and left without looking near me. I got up and my legs nearly went under me. I followed her past mourners whispering in the hall and out to the street. I had no idea what I was going to say to her. She stopped on the footpath at the bottom of our steps and turned to me. Her eyes glistened like seagreen under the streetlight. My head spun. Let her speak. Let her do the talking.

“I thought it was your mother was dead,” she said, “and I shook hands with her at the door and she told me who she was.”

“Did she know who you were?” I asked pointlessly.

“I love you Jeremiah. You know that, don’t you? I’m not sleeping.”

I opened my mouth to say I’m not sure what but then waited because a bus stopped and sat throbbing very loud in a queue. She was as irresistible as I’d ever seen her. I wanted to hold her and crush her but I stood at a measured distance and when the bus moved on I said: “Will you be going back to Audrey?”

“I can’t say I won’t.”