5 | Caught In The Rain

I have never hated my life to the point where I almost jumped out of my Trigonometry classroom's window. I just want this day to end right now.

You're probably wondering why I'm acting like a suicidal person. Well, let me tell you what just happened after Jace dropped me off to college.

After the triplets informed me of the gossips from the students, we went inside the college lobby and were greeted by tons of college people. They were mostly asking me questions regarding Jace and my marriage to him. And other unrelated stuff.

"When did you get married?"

"Where did you spend your honeymoon?"

"When are you having kids?"

"What did you give Mr. Jace Langlois to get him to marry someone like you?"

That one question actually insulted me a lot. But I held in my anger.

"Whoa, man. This situation looks like we're having a press interview." Autumn had exclaimed.

And that ends my mini press interview as what Autumn so beautifully called it. Honestly, I hate being the center of attention. I just want to be alone and have my own peace and quiet. Is that too much to ask?

"Shit. Where is it?" I hissed to no one in particular.

I'm currently in the library and was looking for my favorite book in the literature section. After a few turns at every shelf, I gave up. I couldn't find it at all. Someone probably borrowed it. Yeah, that's it.

I looked around. Our college library is so... isolated? I mean, no one barely even goes here. Almost all of the students here have laptops and computers of their own and don't have the time to go to a library.

To tell the truth, the library is one of my favorite places in college. And this would be the best place to hide from those nosy people from now on. I like how quiet and serene it is. There are some rumors about ghosts and evil spirits regarding this place, but I paid them no mind. Besides, I don't believe in ghosts. I never have ever since I was a kid.

I grabbed a random book then took a seat near the windows. I made myself comfortable and flipped the pages of the book. I stared at the front cover.

Rebecca's Tale

I have never read this one before. The drawing on the cover is slightly dark and gloomy. It's an ocean and a very scary-looking cliff.

Is this some kind of horror story?

I shrugged then finally started to read. I didn't know how long I was reading because when I stopped for a bit to rest my eyes, I saw that it's already dark outside. I looked up at the library clock and realized it's already fifteen minutes to six.

"Well, shit." I muttered.

I didn't have the time to return the book to its shelf so I just left it on the table. I hurriedly ran towards the door then to the main lobby. However, I stopped when heavy rain suddenly poured down from the dark sky.

Now what?

How am I gonna get home in this state? I don't have an umbrella with me. I don't want to step outside either and get my clothes soaked from the rain. My mind jumbled around for ideas to get home when something popped suddenly in my head.

"My cellphone..." I trailed off when I saw that it's already low battery.

Damn it!

I rummaged in my bag to find my charger but alas, no such thing was in my bag. I probably left it at home. I looked at my watch. It's already six fifteen and the rain has no sign of stopping.

Honk! Honk!

I practically jumped ten feet in the air when I heard a sudden honk from a car. I squinted my eyes to look at the car better. A black Maserati...

"Jace!"

The car door opened and out came Jace with an umbrella. He ran towards me.

"Idiot! Why didn't you call me earlier?" He scolded.

I scowled. "My phone battery's dead!"

Jace sighed exasperatedly then grabbed me by the shoulders.

"I only brought one umbrella, so we have no other choice but to share."

I just nodded and walked with him back to the car. He opened the door for me before he went to the driver's side, then he drove off.

"Next time, call me if you're getting home late." He said.

I glanced at him with the corner of my eye. "Okay."

Was he worried about me?

I shook my head. That's impossible. This man isn't the type to get worried easily. He probably just picked me up because he doesn't want to be burdened by me.

I blinked.

Am I really just a burden to him? That reminds me, all this time we never treated each other as husbands... or a newly-married couple even. Our marriage was just for convenience. I married him because I want to get my inheritance. He married me because his parents and my parents are close friends.

What's even the real purpose of our marriage? I got my inheritance back so does that mean I can already leave Jace?

"Uh... Jace? Can I ask you something?" I hesitated.

He looked at me for a short while before facing the road again. "You're already asking."

I gritted my teeth. Never mind.

"What do you want to ask? If you want to finally have sex with me, then shoot. We'll do it tonight once we get home." He teased.

I punched his thigh.

"Ow! You little..."

I smirked, then faced outiside the car window. Green trees and tall buildings passed by so fast that I didn't realize I have already fallen asleep.

I'll ask Jace next time.

Next time...