20 | Burn

After a few quite futile struggles of trying to get Jace off of me, I finally managed to shove him away by pushing my whole weight on him sideways until he fell down on the carpeted floor. I stood up and walked back to the kitchen, shaking my arms that had gotten numb from Jace's weight. Man, he's so heavy.

I realized that I still have some cooking to do, so I cracked a few eggs into the bowl and mixed them with caviar. After I poured the digusting food combination into the pan, I opened the fridge and took out some of the leftover lasagna. I smelled it to make sure if it's still safe to eat before putting it into the microwave. I was about to go upstairs and take a shower when my phone rang. I sighed in annoyance as I made my way back to the living room where Jace was still fast asleep, sprawled out on the floor. An idea came into me, so I grabbed my phone.

I opened the camera application, then took a few pictures of Jace before I opened my message box.

Yo, Kei! Just wanted to tell you Ralph dropped me home. -Ryan

I frowned.

Since when are you on first name basis with Jace's brother? -Me

It didn't take long before Ryan replied back.

So he's Mr. Langlois' brother? Cool! Who's the big bro? -Ryan

Ralph is the older one. -Me

Damn, I can't believe it. They don't look like brothers though. -Ryan

I was about to reply back when I heard the microwave beep, indicating that my lasagna is now ready to eat. I tucked my phone into the back pocket of jeans before sauntering hurriedly to the kitchen. I almost drooled at the smell of the lasagna after I got it out of the microwave. I grabbed a fork then made myself comfortable on one of the stools around the island counter. Then I took out my phone and read another text message from Ryan.

By the way, when can I fix your laptop? -Ryan

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about my broken laptop. We were talking about it when Jace so rudely interrupted and got bitchy before kidnapping me. No matter how he denies it, I know kidnapping when I see it. He should be thankful I didn't press charges on him, that jerk. He's lucky I'm his husband.

This weekend maybe. -Me

Is Saturday fine with you? -Ryan

Yeah sure. -Me

We exchanged a few more text messages after that, while I chomped on my delicious lasagna in between. As I ate, I moaned at how heavenly tasty the lasagna is. My god, Garfield was right. Lasagna truly is the food of the gods. I could totally survive a whole year with this thing... well, including fastfood meals. I also like the greasy food after all.

"If I were you, I'd probably stop moaning like that or else you'll regret it."

I almost fell out of my chair when I looked up and saw Jace casually leaning against the kitchen doorway. I hastily stood up and pointed an angry finger at him. "You, sir, should stop scaring the hell out of people. Jesus! You might have at least cleared your throat or something!"

Jace didn't say anything. He just watched me with those deep and piercing eyes of his, that somehow made me suddenly uncomfortable. He moved his eyes from my head to my toes, then to my face and his heated stare lingered on my eyes for a bit. I just stood there, not moving a muscle, officially feeling very uneasy.

After a while though, his eyes widened. "Kei..."

"What?" I asked cautiously.

He started to walk fast towards me, well I thought so at first, but then he just got past me and at that moment, my own eyes widened as well when I smelled something burning. Oh shit.

I turned around faster than the speed of light that I'm surprised I didn't get whiplash. I saw Jace with cooking mittens already around his hands as he shut down the stove and carefully took the hot pan with the omelette caviar burnt into a black crisp. He stared at it as if it suddenly came to life before looking back at me with a serious look.

I raised my hands up in surrender. "Sorry, I forgot."

He frowned. "Kei."

"I swear, I forgot! And anyway, it's not my fault this happened. Didn't I tell you to get off me so I can properly cook something but nooo, you chose to ignore me and then you fell asleep!"

"You should have at least-"

"Ah, so now it's my fault?"

"I didn't say it's your-"

"In denial, aren't you? Bravo for you."

"Will you just-"

Then, out of the blue, Ralph barged into the kitchen with what seems like a takeout foodbag. He was looking back and forth between Jace and I with an amused smirk.

"Wow, you two. You're already acting like an old married couple." He said.

I just rolled my eyes at him as he sat down on a stool. He then noticed the horrible thing on the pan Jace was holding. Ralph eyed it with a grimace.

"Qu'est-ce que c'est?" [Translation: What's that?]

Jace replied tiredly. "Food."

"That does not look like food at all."

"Well, it doesn't matter. I'll just order something."

Ralph slammed the foodbags onto the island countertop with a smug grin. "Good thing I brought takeout. Does Japanese sound good?"

We didn't have any other choice so Jace and I just gave up and sat down as well. Ralph happily gave us both chopsticks, to which I pouted.

"Uh, I don't know how to use those things." I muttered, embarrassed.

Ralph was about to lean over the table to teach me how when Jace interrupted us with an annoyed tsk of his mouth. I glanced at him.

"What?" I demanded.

"If you try to burn the house down, tell me. I'll just cook it myself. At least it will be safer that way."

I scowled at him in disbelief. "Yeah sure. I look forward to it. Oh, that reminds me... if someone were to choose which is safer. Me who actually knows how to cook or Mr. Langlois who doesn't even know how to crack an egg? Uh-huh, I can totally see the answer."

"Burn." Ralph snickered behind his hand.

Jace glared at his brother menacingly before picking up a roll of sushi and angrily bit on it. I held up a finger and gasped mockingly.

"Oh yeah! I almost forgot. Jace, if you ever try to cook something and blame it on me, just remember I have something that will make you cringe." Then I took out my phone and showed Ralph the picture I took of Jace sleeping in an apron a while ago. Ralph couldn't help but laugh out loud, his shoulders shaking.

"Jace, copain. If these get posted in Facebook, you'll be burnt toast." Ralph chuckled.

Jace fumed when he caught a short glimpse of the images in my phone before I tucked my phone back safely into my jeans pocket. I just smiled triumphantly at him.

"Don't you dare post those pictures, mon beau." He warned.

I shrugged carelessly. "Depends."

Ralph was still laughing obnoxiously, and I can't help but laugh along with him. God, I have never felt so victorious before. And damn, it feels good. Especially if Jace was the victim now instead of me.