⚘ 3 ⚘

After minutes of gathering people and telling them to spread the word that there's an announcement in the main hall, I stand up on top of some stable wooden planks that are supposed to represent a stage. It does work though as I am taller than everyone right now and everyone's eyes are on me.

I clear my throat and scour the crowd for Lara, who is staring at me with a mischievous gleam in her eyes. My evidently sour expression starts to soften but then I spot Anna and Gemma who are both mouthing words of encouragement as though they think I can't handle the pressure. How little they know, how little.

"Okay, I have gathered you all here today in the main hall to mention and discuss a little issue we have recently had. We will use this time to discuss as a sector, and everyone has an opinion they are entitled to. Also, if there are any problems needed to be mentioned today will be the time. Okay, moving on," I take a breath and shiver as a gust of wind enters the room. I gesture to an old man at the back to shut the doors. He does.

"A few of the men of this sector, of whom I'm sure you'll know are Kyle and Brax and Danny, visited the drop off site today to retrieve the weekly supplies. I'm sure you have all noticed that we usually receive 10 full batches of clothes. Unfortunately, this week's circumstances have changed and for some reason we only received 5 this week. This may mean that there's not enough for everyone to have a new outfit to last for the week. And this is a problem because some of you will be upset that you haven't received any and this will cause unnecessary anger and tension between us when we need to always be at peace." I took another breath and noticed Kyle was gesturing that he needed to say something. I just silently mouthed that he should come to the front.

"So I'm informing you all before-hand that some may receive a new set of clothes or even just a shirt or something and some may not. I do not want any feuds to be caused, and if this does happen then I fear that our bond and trust will break and in Phover, the way we are living, if we cannot trust our own people then that's just the end. No chance of survival. And if," my voice became dangerously quiet and calm, "I even hear of this happening I will without any hesitation kick you out from the sector. Or kill you. I will do anything to keep my people alive."

Kyle came up to the 'stage' and whispered in my ear. That's not all. I forgot to mention earlier but half the supplies weren't there. The drop off sites was the one near us so we're the closest and quickest to get there and bag the good shit but this time... I don't know if the people just gave half of normal supplies or if... if another sector took it. We didn't believe the second one but then we found something a bit odd... a body. Dead. This young man. He was stabbed to death and shot 3 times, once in the leg, once in the stomach and once in the ear. We would've brought him back but it was too late and anyway, we didn't recognize him.

I unwillingly gasp and the whole audience look at me, startled and confused. Kyle backs off and goes back to his spot in the crowd.

"What's happening?" a voice calls out from the crowd.

"Yeah! We wanna know," another voice calls.

"Why are you shocked?"

"Tell us please!"

And more and more voices call out. I don't even know what was going on through mind. I close my eyes and breathe. This new information has changed my view on things. I decide whether to keep it a secret or to inform everyone. I choose the latter and decide to tell them.

"Silence." My voice booms out causing silence amongst the crowd.

"Okay, I must admit the news that Kyle just told me was very.. um unexpected? Yes, unexpected. And there's no point in keeping you in the dark, so I intend to inform you. Now following on from my earlier speech, the drop off site was the one near us. And at first we all automatically thought the people who deliver the supplies felt less generous... But I fear we have something worse. Because," and I gulp, "a body was found there."