7 ||

After rushing down the 4 flights of steps that lead down towards the actual flat, ground, I sigh. This is so tiring, everything. Sometimes it's just boring, how it's constant violence and no chill. Sometimes, I just want to be the vulnerable kid who gets protected, I don't want to be the 21 year old kid himself, who protects because, the fate of 300 people lies on you. And every death that happens is almost like a part of you dying. But-

"Harry!" Lara cuts off my train of thought by snapping her fingers right on my face.

"What?" I groan, wanting to continue my thought track.

"Shall we get down by the river and just shoot as they walk past or shall we split up and then go get the rest?"

I am brought back into reality as realization of what is happening hits me. I shake my head, "no, we need more just in case. Blow your whistle 4 times."

Every person in my group has a whistle and there's a certain sort of code. If we blow the whistle once, we need immediate help; like someone is dying or someone is being held hostage or something. Two whistles is that we need a doctor and medical equipment etc. Three whistles are that we're under attack and everyone needs to be armed and evacuate. Four whistles are that we are under attack and we need the strongest men. Five whistles are that-

Boom! Boom! Boom!

Rapid gunshots are being fired and I instantly crouch down and use my hands to defend myself. Then I realize how stupid I'm being, and instead I use the things I learnt from my training years and I draw my guns and fire upwards to let the attackers know that we are coming.

We are all crouched so that we are facing one another, like a huddle.

"What shall we do?" Kyle asks, panting.

"Uh, don't blow the whistles; they'll know we're here." I warn, shaking my head at Lara.

"Who cares, they're Kappa's. Let's roll," Lara interjects.

"Brax?" I call him, wanting his input.

He nods and says, "Yeah, they're Kappa's. Who gives a damn? I think Lara's right, let's go. Oh, and blow the whistle anyway, just in case."

4 shrill whistles later, we all stand up and I lead the way. I wave my hand as a gesture for them to come after I check if the coast is clear. The plan is to get to the Zone and then just take them out and by then, the rest of the strong men will have come. They whistled back which alerted us that they understood and received our message.

"Come!" I hiss, before running out across the bare land. As though my life depends on it, which it does, I sprint rapidly across the area, mainly because of the fact that there is no cover. We are highly visible and I continue to run until I hear voices. I stop abruptly, and behind me, I hear Kyle, Brax and Lara curse as they have to stop as well.

"What the hell...?"

"What is he doing?"

"Oi, Styles. You got a death wish or something?"

I spin round, glare at them and then shush them. "Listen, do you hear the voices?" scouring the area, I try to pin point the location they were coming from.

I tip toe near the row of huts and notice the voices getting louder. Gesturing for them to follow, I silently walk upwards, ear pressed against the doors.

"This one!" I gasp, a little too loud. The indistinct chatter of voices then falll to a stop and I curse myself inwardly. Relief floods through me as the voices resume and I have to breathe to calm my heart.

"Is it this one?" Lara, who was at the back, whispers. Nodding, I put a finger to my lips to tell her to shut up.

The voices continue, but I can't make anything out, just snippets of words.