Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Cody's POV

I wake up to my alarm blaring. Another day of school. I drag myself out of bed and to the shower. I go through the regular routine and grab my bag. Waving off protests and lectures from my mom about how breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I climbed into my car and drove to my best friend, Cameron's house.

Once the car stopped, he hopped in the back seat and high-fived me. "Morning man!" he said far too hyperly for my taste.

"Morning," I replied groggily as he passed a coffee through the space between the front two seats. I nod a thanks and turn up the radio and head to pick up my girlfriend, Carli.

Pulling up to her house, I honked the horn, knowing she would be at least another minute. She finally came out 5 minutes later and climbed in the passenger seat, giving me a kiss that did more to wake me up than the coffee that now sat abandoned in the cup holder between us.

Gagging noises could be heard from the back seat, so Carli shot him a playful glare and said, "You're just jealous that you don't have someone who loves you like I love Cody," topping it off with a giggle.

"Sure, that's it," Cameron said while rolling his eyes. "More like my bagel is threatening to make another appearance." I chuckle and listen to their banter the rest of the way to school, thankful that Carli gets along with at least one of my friends.

I pull into my usual parking spot beside my other best friend, Allison, seeing that she she must already be on the building. Taking Carli's hand in mine, I sling my backpack over the other shoulder and walk in the building to spot Allison at a table talking with some of our other friends. I lead Carli and Cameron over to the table and tell Al good morning as I take a seat. Carli perches herself on my knee and gives her a fake smile. She should know by now that I know the differences between her smiles. Who wouldn't after on-again off-again dating for 2 years?

Al smiled back a sweet smile and told me good morning. Just then, the bell rang to go to class. Carli turned in my lap and kissed me, nibbling on my bottom lip before standing up to go to Economics with Cameron. "Love you!" she tossed over her shoulder at me before exiting the commons.

"Just as loving as ever," Al muttered under her breath, thinking that I couldn't hear her. I chuckled, knowing that she tried her best to put up with Carli because she knew that she made me happy. "Come on, Miss Sarcastic, let's get going to English," I said, smirking at her.

We walked to class avoiding the subject of last night. That's the was it was. She would wake up from yet another nightmare about HIM, sweating, in a breathless panic. She would then call me, and I would reassure her that everything would be okay. I would sing to her until I heard her smooth, even breaths on the other end of the line. Then the next day, her mask would be carefully slid back into place. The strong girl who could only fall apart under the cover of darkness on the other end of the telephone line. I would never bring it up, and she would rarely get that sad look in her eyes before she pushed her mask back into place and the thoughts of him back into the dark recesses of her mind.

I held the door for her when we got to class, and as she looked up at me, I caught a glimpse of the sad girl behind the mask who just needed someone to be there when she needed to fall apart. Once again, I wanted to hurt the one responsible for making her feel that way. Then, just as quickly as it had appeared, the sad look in her eyes disappeared and the mask was snapped back into place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

Thanks for checking it out guys! Hope you're liking it so far! Next upload will be soon! Currently writing it as I speak!

Feedback is much appreciated! Also doing this by myself so sorry for any mistakes.

Bri