Chapter 5

Ali POV

I looked at my best friend lying there on his bed looking up at the ceiling. He hadn't shed a single tear, which was starting to worry me. I walked out of his room, closing the door. I grabbed my bag from downstairs and headed to the guest bedroom across the hall from Cody's room.

I was asleep before my head hit the pillow, exhausted from all the drama. I woke up rather early, looking around at first, confused about where I was. I walked downstairs and decided to cook Cody some breakfast, hoping he would snap out of his comatose state soon.

I opened up the fridge, finding hardly nothing, so I grabbed my keys and drove to the nearest fast food place. When I returned, I went to check on him. He hadn't moved since the night before. I sat down on the bed next to him and watched his chest rise and fall with his deep breaths.

Then, he started to talk in his sleep. "No! Lies!" he shouted out. He swung his fist, almost catching my shoulder. I leaned down out of the way to wake him up, but didn't manage to by the time that his fist landed across my right cheek. I fell onto him, effectively waking him. He threw his arms around me. "Thanks for waking me up, Al. Bad dreams," he said, the tail end of his sentence trailing off.

I knew if he saw my eye, he would feel guilty, so I just told him he was welcome and tried to leave as soon as possible. No such luck. He caught me by the hand before I had even stood up good and raised himself up while pulling me back to sitting down.

"Al, what happened to your eye?! I swear if he got anywhere near you I'll-"

"It wasn't him, Cody," I said, halting his train of thought. He looked at me confused.

"Evan?" he asked perplexedly. I just shook my head no.

"Who then?" he questioned, tilting my chin up to make me look him in the eyes. I pulled myself away from him, looking down at the carpet.

"You, but you were asleep and having nightmares and you just swung. I know you didn't mean to," the words came flooding out of my mouth.

His mouth gaped open before he started apologizing profusely. I waved it off until I saw a single tear escape his eye. I wiped it away and said, "Cody, it's not your fault. You were asleep. Calm down." He nodded, getting up from the bed. When I asked him what he was doing, he replied, "I'm taking care of you."

This was how Cody always was. As long as he could find someone that was worse off than him to take care of, he could block out his problems, so I laid down on the bed and let him prepare me an ice pack and a glass of water with two Asprin.

He say beside me on the bed and kissed my forehead, telling me again how sorry he was. "You know what I really need? For you to shut up and come sing me to sleep," I said in a snarky voice. He smiled and laid beside me, wrapping his arm around my waist and singing to me softly.

Just like before her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry I left you guys hanging. Thanks for reading

Bri