Chapter 16

Chapter 16  🚼22 weeks pregnant (5 months)🚼

Jessica POV

I don't think that I've ever been so nervous and yet so excited at the same time. Today Lucas and I are going to the OBGYN appointment to find out what the gender of the twins will be, then we're going to Lisa's house for dinner.

My phone started to vibrate in the pocket of my cardigan, checking the caller ID I realize it's my mother calling.

"Hey mom, what's up."

"Good afternoon, I was just wondering what time your flight lands today?"

"Mom I told you already, I'm spending Christmas with my boyfriend and his family this year." I already called her and explained this to her, I don't understand why she just doesn't get it.

She probably just fussing because I always come about a week from Christmas to help around the house and things of the like, since I'm not here she has to find someone else this year.

"Oh, you were actually being serious about that. Well I'll see you around  New Years then, yeah." she said as a statement more than a question.

"No mom, I'm staying down here for that too." I say exasperated, I had already told her about Christmas and New Years but she just doesn't seem to listen.

"Well then when do I get to spend time with my daughter? Gosh I feel like I never see you anymore since you moved away, and you barely call I might as well only have one daughter."

"Okay momma, there's no need for you to be so dramatic." she always does this, trying to guilt me into doing things her way.

I hear Lucas come down the stairs with a babbling Jake in arms.

"What's that noise?" my mom asks. I swear she has ears like a bat, during our teen years Jasmine and I were never able to sneak out fearing she would hear.

"Hm, what noise?" I act oblivious to her hearing Jake's babbling and Lucas' footsteps over the phone.

"Oh don't you try and fool me, I hear footsteps and a man. Is your boyfriend with you now? Does he have a baby? Do you have a baby? Oh Lord Jesus Christ our saviour please tell me you didn't have a child out of wedlock." her breathing becoming faster.

"Mom calm down, yes mom my boyfriend is here and what you heard was the TV, we were watching one of the reality shows you don't like, 16 & Pregnant I think it was." I respond to her making up a lie.

"Oh, well let me talk to the man who's taking away my daughter for the holidays, depriving me." she say like she's in some sort of soap opera.

"Hey mom don't you have a bridge game to get to?" I say changing the subject from Lucas, now is certainly not the right time.

"Oh cheese and crackers I do! I have to go, goodbye dear don't forget to say your prayers." she hangs up the phone.

I sigh in relief and get up off the couch heading over to where Lucas is standing with Jake in his grasp, trying not to smile.

"What's so funny?" I ask him.

"Oh nothing, just hearing you and your mom interact is actually quite amusing." he shifts his arms so he's holding Jake in a more comfortable position.

"Trust me, if you were in my position right now you wouldn't be smiling." I state.

He just hums in response.

"Alright let's get going to the hospital to find out what I'm having."

"And Jakes checkup is a little while after that."