Chapter 20

Chapter 20 24 Weeks pregnant (5 ½ months) Important A/N at the end.

I wake up from my nap, with Lucas by my side, feeling rejuvenated and ready to take on the rest of the evening, no matter what comments Liz threw at me.

At least until I walked into the living room, that is.

There sat my father along with his new wife and children, laughing along with Lisa and John while their kids played with Danny and Cameron.

My steps stutter and I'm not quite sure how to react to him being here. Of course I knew he was coming to New York, but I didn't know he was coming here, today even. I am in absolutely no way prepared for this; I had thought that I had at least a day or two of preparation.

I finish walking down the stairs and look at Lucas, an accusatory look on my face.

"Did you call my dad here?" I ask deciding to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"Hear me out alright. I know that you already told him to come down to New York, and I just thought that other than his kids and wife he wouldn't have anyone else to celebrate with, so I called him and invited him by."

"Lucas, you had no right to do that. How did you even get his number?"

"I'm sorry alright, I just thought it would be better for you to do this surrounded by people who love you, and I just got it from your phone, you should really put a password on that by the way."

I was about to walk into the living room when I stopped dead in my tracks remembering something.

"Lucas, we have a slight problem."

"What's wrong? Are you okay? Does your stomach hurt? Do you need a doctor?" he asks in all seriousness.

"No I'm fine, it's just that I never actually got around to telling my dad that I'm pregnant and engaged."

"So, neither of your parents know that you're pregnant with twins, nor engaged to me."

Yeah pretty much, they only know that we're dating." I say guiltily.

"Well, this is gonna be a Christmas to tell the kids about."

"Yeah. If, we both survive to tell the tale."

"Don't be so dramatic."

"Trust me I'm not."

We both walked in to the living room, me hiding behind Lucas afraid of my dad's reaction once he sees me. Lucas abandoned me to go sit down, my dad stands up a smile on his face as he looks at me, as soon as his eyes reach my stomach it seems that his legs almost give out from beneath him.

"Hey dad, how ya doin'?" I ask trying to act normal.

He doesn't respond, staring at my expanded stomach in a seemed daze.

"Here, let me help you to your spot." Lucas stands up helping my dad back onto the couch.

"Hey dad, what's new?" I ask smiling awkwardly.

"Well let me think. Life's good and everything's normal, oh wait, MY DAUGHTER'S PREGNANT AND SHE DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO TELL ME! But other than that I'm good."

"Mark, let her explain first, yeah." his wife, Isabelle, tells him.

Thankfully he doesn't object and I start to speak.

"I didn't want to tell you because of many different reasons. For one, I was scared you would tell mom and she would freak, and when I got pregnant I hadn't spoken to you in so many years I didn't think that the first in forever from your estranged daughter was to tell you that she's pregnant. I didn't want you to be disappointed in me, I used to be your little girl you know, and now I'm all grown up and you have your own family and a new little girl. I don't know, I just didn't want you to feel like you had to help me or something." I shrug looking down at my hands. Sometime during this speech, everyone but Isabelle and Lucas left.

My dad lets out a sigh, running his hands over his face. "I think that this is about more than the pregnancy." Isabelle says when nobody speaks.

"I just want you to know that I never meant to make you feel that way. When you mother and I divorced, I thought that you would hate me or despise me because of what I did. You were already a legal adult when your mother and I divorced, I didn't think that you needed me anymore or wanted to need me anyways. Whenever you came by the house, you never said anything so I never thought anything was wrong. Then one day you just stopped showing up.

"I'm really sorry about that, but I just couldn't stand there and watch you play and have fun with your new family. It hurt me so much to see you doing all of the things with them, that you used to do with us. I couldn't do that to myself anymore." I can feel the sting of tears at the back of my head, Lucas' hand rubbing my back.

"Why didn't you just tell me that you felt this way? I wish that I would've known."

"What would I even say? 'Hey dad, I feel really neglected and hurt that you're spending time with your new family.' I couldn't say that."

"Well you still could have talked to me about it, tell me how you feel. The only way that I know you're okay is when your sister calls on the holidays and I have little to no contact with your mother."

"I think that there was a lot of miscommunication involved in this and it's really great that you guys are speaking to each other again." Isabelle speaks up.

"I know that I made a lot of mistakes in the past and present, but I really want to be in your life again." he walks over to me and grasps my hands.

"Dad you live al the way in California, keeping contact is going to be a little hard don't you think?"

"Well, Isabelle just got a work transfer to the New York location and she decided to take it so we will be much closer. We can even have family dinners. What do you say, can I be part of your life again?"

I think back to what Lucas said a while ago about wishing that his father was still in his life and that he would do anything to have him back. Thinking back to that moment, I remember how fortunate I am to have a father and that I'm luck to have him wan to be in my life again.

"Sure, we can work things out." I smile as he embraces me.

"This is such a cute moment." Isabelle says.

My dad lets go of me and Lucas give me a tissue to wipe my eyes. I hate crying so much, I blame the pregnancy hormones.

"Now that that's settled, let's talk about this pregnancy. Young man you and I are going to have a serious talk."

*****

I'm back and so very sorry. At first I was just lazy and had writers block then exams came around and I need to study, but I'm back now so it's all good.

WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS THINK IF I DID A SPIN-OFF WHERE JESSICA DIDN'T GO HOME AND MEET MAGGIE AND FIND LUCAS????? LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS.

Happy Canada Day!!! To all my Canadians out there, Canada's 149 years old. I'm going to Timmies to celebrate, get myself an Iced Capp. If I decide to leave my house.

Anyways. what did you guys think of the chapter? Yes? No? Maybe So? WHat do you think of her dad and Isabelle?

I was going to post this almost three hours ago but Wattpad was being weird and saying I only had 864 words,  but I fixed it so here is you chapter.

Enjoy.

Have a splendid morning, afternoon, evening and night.